1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stubby Fingered Neck Love

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mtnmike198, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Made the mistake of playing a Geddy Lee Jazz when I was just shopping for amps the other day. ;) It fit my stubby little fingers better than anything else I've ever played (which admittedly isn't a whole lot). Time to shop for a second bass! Could anyone save me some time and point me toward other sub-$1k options with a similar neck profile? I'd like to see how they compare to the GL before taking the plunge. Thanks!

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Fender Jaguar

any Ibanez SDGR

Those are the only ones I know that are under $1K and have super-thin necks. Geddys are sweet!

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Fender Mustang and Jazz. Ibanez. Hofner Beatle Bass.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Agreed, as a matter of fact, the Jag has the same neck profile and pups as the Geddy.

5. Look on ebay for Peavey foundations. The neck is actually smaller than a jazz and they can be had for between 200 and 300 bucks. I recently played a Highway one Jazz and my foundation actually plays and sounds better which was pretty shocking to me.

6. Thanks, all. I appreciate the response. I've played a standard Jazz and a Rickenbacker 4001, but that Geddy was noticeably more comfortable for me. I'll check out the suggestions if I can find them to try out. Don't want to fixate on just one model to the point of missing out on something as good or better.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Yeah, I used to own a geddy and have played several regular Jazz basses and the Geddy is noticeably thinner. It is meant to emulate Geddy's own Jazz, which has a shaved neck. Its not the same as a Hwy1 or other Jazz.

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Peavey Foundations are one of the best bargains you will find. A dirt cheap, high quality US made bass with one of the sweetest necks ever. They commonly sell for ~ $150 -$250 used when they turn up in stores near me, though the lower priced ones can be pretty beat up.

9. +1 on the Peavey. I just found one at a local pawn shop today but I don't need another Peavey right now. It played sweet. A little worn but not beat up for $200 with a case.

Anyone in Lakeland, it's at the pawn shop at the Lake Miriam shopping center. :bassist:

10. TRB6P. it's a sixer with 19mm spacing, ideal for stubby fingered guys!

I actually have tiny fingers and I play it, i like it actually. Check your wider options and see if you like it, you never know!

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones has a pretty thin neck relative to other Js, and it's a great (and great-looking) bass. You can get one used for under $1K--in fact, there are several for sale right now in the TB Classifieds.