1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stuck between 2 basses!!!! Ibanez and Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayRock18, Nov 20, 2018.

1. JayRock18

JayRock18

Sep 28, 2018
    I plan on getting a new bass soon. A 5 string. I have had my eyes on a Schecter CV 5, I really dig the whole passive/vintage vibe and the electronics are awesome. I love the fact that its 35" scale. I love the 3 tone sunburts. Basically everything about it I love!!! But I live so far from amy music store I can't really juat go try one out. On the other hand. I feel as though the Ibanez sr505 would be a great bass. I have a cheap Ibanez 4 banger and I love it. I had a 6 string fretless conversion 1992 model 1306 that was very heavy but a workhorse of a bass. I just cannot decide which one to pick up. I don't play in any bands or anything. Just at home for fun. Both are within $100 of eachother I just want the best of the 2. Everyone seems to love the sr505 and I really can't find much about the Schecter cv5. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice, both are high quality guitars. It will boil down to your preferences, so you should really get to try them somehow if you are unsure but are putting that much money into a bass. The schecter neck will feel a lot chunkier than the ibanez, so if you love ibanez necks, you should probably just get the 505. It's also likely to be lighter.

Helix, wmmj and JayRock18 like this.
  3. The Ibanez will probably have better resale value......if that's a factor. Schecter basses just don't seem to be very popular around here for some reason.

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I prefer the Schecter basses over the Ibanez YMMV
    They feel and sound solid and substantial.
    I also feel that their electronics backage is superior to my ears

Crusher47 likes this.
  5. JayRock18

JayRock18

Sep 28, 2018
    Well thanks everyone. It seems like I really wouldn't go wrong either way. I really kind of want to stay in the 35" scale for a 5 string. I have also been looking at an Ibanez btb745 which is AWESOME. But I lind of dig the SR body style more. And then back to the Schecter.. Idk man.. InternetAlias, your definitely right. If I plan on dropping up to a grand I better get my hands on a few to try out first. Thanks for the help guys

6. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I would buy Yamaha.

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Good suggestion. Yamaha probably quietly owns Schecter and Ibanez at this point since they quietly own almost everything. :D

OP, in terms of quality, I'm not sure you are going to see a lot of difference. I am more familiar with Ibanez basses so I would lean in that direction. On the other hand, that Schecter is probably of equal quality (it could even have been made in the same factory?), and it is an interesting bass. I guess I understand your dilemma.

jackn1202 likes this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Much as I love how the SR505 sounds and plays, it has one drawback: the “brown mahogany” finish its most commonly available in is really fragile. They used a tinted varnish that never penetrates into the mahogany body, so any chip goes right to bare wood, and it chips easily. They do have opaque painted and poly versions of this bass, but harder to find, different model number, I think. I have been sorely tempted to buy a used one, sand off that thin finish, and re-do with Tru-Oil. A few TB’ers have done this with great success.

Edit:
    Looks like it’s only available new in two finishes, brown mahogany and blue sapphire. They used to offer a few more colors, maybe look used?
    Electric Basses SR - SR505 | Ibanez guitars

JayRock18 likes this.
  9. JayRock18

JayRock18

Sep 28, 2018
    I am really leaning towarda this btb745. If I go that route. I am also interested in possibly switching out the bartolinis for some nordstrands. But definitely just need to get to a guitar center

10. JayRock18

JayRock18

Sep 28, 2018
    The Yamaha's don'treally appeal to me. I think the best thing about Yamaha imo is John Myung. I like more of a vintage look with both modern and vintage sound qualities.... That Myung comment was meant to be funny, hope I don't affend anyone. Not my intentions.

11. JayRock18

JayRock18

Sep 28, 2018
    I am kind of moving away from the sr505. I have watched many videos and it seems like the B string on a 34" scale just doeant have as much beef as a 35"

12. JayRock18

JayRock18

Sep 28, 2018
    And yea that brown mahogany blows. Thwy look sweet, all the SR's do I just cannot handle a floppy B string

13. I have a Schecter Omen 5 and had, and gotten rid of, a Ibanez SR505. Here is my overview. I play rock, dance rock. The Schecter is my main bass. I like the neck, but the Ibanez neck was indeed something to love. I changed the Schecter electronics, the electronic were ok and used the original electronics for about 3-4 years, but like many here, I upgraded to Seymour Duncans and an Aguilar preamp. This bass kicks buttski. Punch, sustain, playability, feel. Now the Ibanez, which was recently sold. I got it on a trade, that I felt I won on. The neck is a piece of art. Thin, smooth and fast, but quite honestly, that is the only thing I loved about it. It was lighter, truth from post above. I also liked the mid-control aspect. Both are good basses for the money, but both, if you want "that sound", IMO, would have to be upgraded electronically to achieve it to my ears. Both are priced right so that the upgrade, perhaps, can be easily afforded. Oh and as stated above, the Mahogany finish belongs in the toilet. My SR505 only had one chip, but it also scratched very easy as well. Avoid that finish at all costs.

Again, bottom line, I kept the Schecter and sold the Ibanez SR505.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  14. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Since you're not near a store, why don't you order the one you think you'll like the best from Guitar Center. They have a 45 day return policy. If you don't bond with it, return it.

JayRock18 likes this.
  15. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    I would buy the Schecter, it has a 35" scale and graphite enforcement. It is passive, as someone who also only plays at home, with the amp always within reach, the onboard eq wouldn't be a plus. And there's the spending with batteries, as a hobbyist i would prefer to not have to spend more money after the purchase

16. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    For a 5 string, Schecter. Absolutely feature laden for the dollars spent, gig quality working instruments. Ibanez wins the ergonomics battle for 6 string basses, but Schecter 5s are plenty comfortable to play.

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  17. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Between the two I'd go for the Schecter. I love Ibanez basses but the SR neck is a little too skinny for me. Great basses though. The BTB's are likely a more comparable model.

The Schecter kind of sound like what you want and it looks a little more classic that the SR or BTB IMO. Plus I really like Ash body With a Maple/rosewood neck. The Modern Schecter electronics sound like they are improved over previous models too.

18. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Mili and pappabass like this.
  19. I have never owned a Ibanez, but really like the BTB series basses.

20. Hippwahh

Hippwahh

Jan 2, 2018
    Just recently purchased a 5 string Schecter. I absolutely love it, it has quietly become my favorite bass to play over my Ibanez and Fender. Was really not expecting the quality that I received. Pick Schecter for sure.

JayRock18 and City like this.