1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stuck between 2 compressors!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chief redcok, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Well I've narrowed it down to 2 for my first comp ever..

-FEA Opti-FET Comp
    or
    -Empress Comp

Now the tone I seem to be looking for is in the John Paul Jones compression type range. I am looking to get a warm, soft, clean type tone...

I have read a lot from this site as much as any compressor freak- http://www.ovnilab.com/

But I still need help on which one to choose between these 2.. so help a brother out! :hyper:

2. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Hey Chief,

If you want a compressor soon then you would be better off going with the Empress. All of our product builds have been pushed back again to rework the boards for the new comp.

-Frank

3. Thats fine with me! The Opti-FET looks incredible and I dont mind waiting, when will it be back up for shipping?

4. Or are you saying that there is a new comp coming? I am slightly confused

5. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    On the product info page you can click on the button that says 'click here to be notified'. Use that to send an email to FEA asking to be put on the wait list.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's a wait list for the existing pedals, AND there is a new one in production. It's called the DE-CL, and I hope to have a review posted next week.

7. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    I'm really looking forward to the review of the DE-CL. Please be sure to include the benefit of having a comp and limiter running parallel in the same box.

I understand running clean and compressed signals in parallel (a la the empress), is it similar to that?

Where would you put the DE-CL in a signal chain with other effects? I usually think of limiters being at the end, but I like my comp nearer the beginning.

8. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Bongo found background noise in the production DE-CL that didn’t exist in the first bench model. I literally spent weeks redesigning the audio path to isolate and lower this noise. Because of this, all of the production boards had to go back to rework for the new circuit.

I have given up trying to forecast ETA’s for pedal batches. Lately, every time I make an ETA I seem to severely jinx myself and grossly miss the estimate. What Glen is going to do now, is to contact people on the list about a week or two in advance of their batch completion. All I can confidently say is that the next build for the Opti-FET is three build cycles away… DE-CL first batch, then Dual-Bands, then DE-CL’s again, then Opti-FET’s

Since you are looking for your first compressor, the LED metering on the Empress can be very beneficial in setting the compressor up properly. I think Bongo gave the new MXR a good review… and that one also has the LED metering.

-Frank

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    If one keeps an eye on the TB classifieds, an FEA comp might show up. You have to be quick, though, as they are rarely last more than an hour before it snatched up.

10. Yesss I am on the waiting list, I think Frank is the one who emailed me back... I hear great things about the Empress, I just feel like one of the FEA comps is right for me and I cant wait for this new one, all of the FEA products amaze me..