Stuck between an Ibanez and a Lakland.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Mar 5, 2005.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The Ibanez, the venerable BTB405qm, the Lakland, the equally awesome but slighty lesser known 55-01.

2. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200, just buy the Lakland.
  3. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Hmm...if I went for the Ibanez I would've eventually upgraded the stock pups with Barts later...anyone else have good experiences with these, fine, fine bass guitars?
  4. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I would think it doesn't matter, they are probably made in the same factory anyways. If you are going to upgrade the BTB later, why not just go with the Lakland?
    Then again, the pre on the Lakland kind of sucks, in my opinion.
    Now that I think about it, an upgraded BTB probably is going to sound better, but not hold its value as well.
  5. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I just traded my Ibanez BTB 510 (non Bart model) 2 days ago for a Lakland 55-01. I will never miss the BTB. Not that the BTB wasn't a fine bass. Mahogny body, bubinga/rosewood neck (I'm pretty sure)...the neck was slim and slick...BUT...the Lakland has so much more tone, clarity, and punch! I just can't say enough about it. I'm sure one day I'll want to check out a 55-02 or go to the American series..but I'm gonna be to busy playing and figuring out the 5 string...(the BTB was a 4).
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The BTB is a decent bass.

The Lakland is a pro quality bass.

As far as tekhna's comments about the preamp, I have heard others say them same thing and just don't get it. Maybe my 55-01 is broken or something. It sounds great, and the preamp is quiet and transparent. Yeah, I like the preamp in my Zon, Nordstrand and Cirrus a little more, but the MK1 preamp is not a piece of crap. It gets the job done, and gives the bass tons of flexibility.
  7. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I tried a BTB405qm at a GC and thought that there was a dead battery because the output was rather weak and undefined. He popped in two new 9Volts and the bass still seemed weak. I used to have a 55-01 and the pre was loud and musical. The 55-01 is a pro bass all the way. Most here on TB regard the Lakland Skylines as pro-quality instruments.

The Ibanez basses are great, but the BTB405qm is simply not in the same quality category as the 55-01. I hope that this helps.
  8. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    My ol BTB and the lak have basically the same control but the BTB came with a mid frequency control as well. However it just didn't seem like I could come up quite the right tone that I've allready found in my 55-01.

I have to agree with the weakness of the BTB as well...I just couldn't get any f the higher strings to be heard. D and G that to compensate it would make the E and A boom to much. With the 55-01 it's ringing through so much more it's really jaw dropping. We just had practice Friday night and I just couldn't believe how much better I sounded in the mix. It wasn't just a muddy drone it was a bright bass guitar sound..sorry that explanantion tired.
  9. I just got home from a friends gig. The bass player, whom I know, asked me to sit in on a couple songs. I used his bass, which is a Lakland Daryl Jones signature model, and it's a top notch bass. Very easy playing, a little thinner neck than a Jazz Bass, very silky smooth action. I liked it a lot, enough to look into getting one.
  10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The Lake's got the funk, the Ibeenhad's, it don't have the funk...
  11. dude, do you want to date the head cheerleader or the chick that picks her nose and whips it on her pants?

go with the lakland, it has class.
  12. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China

OMG!! Poetry....pure poetry!!!

Sig worthy!!
  13. haha glad you think so.

But either way, if you like them both equally, and have played them both my advice and I'm sure everyones advice would be to go with the lakland. But ultimatly your playing it.
  14. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

+ 1 on the Lakland.
    I am totally baffled by the comments dissing the preamp on the 55-01, I have played lots of 01 series Laklands and they sounded great. the Lakland, as posted above, it is a Pro Quality Bass.
  15. another +1 for the lakland. I had a was weak for ME and MY purposes, but maybe it won't be for you. If you're playing music that requires a solid, audible, punchy type of tone, go with the lakland. And another +1 that the lakland is a pro's instrument "right out of the box" so to speak.

P.S. with any luck, i'm using the money from my BTB to get a 55-01, nuff said :smug:.
  16. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hmmmmmm bwm, or kia?

i owned a ibanez soundgear(sr800) and i was never happy with it. honestly, there is a lot of people on here who like ibanez. if you ask me, i wouldnt waste my money on one ever again.
  17. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Here now I'm a gonna second my notion to the Lakland. We had another practice last night and I was able to dial in even more of the tone I wanted with my new 55-01. This thing kicks the proverbial arse! I can't imagine what the higher up Laklands sound like because this thing is just what I have been needing. We have a new tune that I'm doing a lil lead at the begining of the song...played on the D and G...with my 'ol BTB you would have never been able to even here what I was playing over the guitars. Now with the Lakland it's more than heard with a nice lil muuaaa and growl that the BTB never even had! Dude...get the Lakland.
  18. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Lakland. I had a 55-02 and it kicked. Wish I still had it.
  19. Here's another vote for the Lakland. I have the 55-02 and LOVE it. I have heard it said that Lakland basses do not have an aggressive sound, but mine does. The Ibanez, if it's like the other Ibanez's I've played, simply cannot compete with the Lakland for quality of build and sound. As others have stated before, the Lakland is a pro-level instrument.
  20. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Lakland all the way! You'll sit in the mix not just be some downtuned guitars background distortion:bawl:.. sorry ranting a bit... The Lakland pre is anything but weak.