Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stuck between three amazing basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Jul 18, 2005.

The bass love triangle.

Poll closed Jul 25, 2005.
  1. Fender Geddy sig

80 vote(s)
    50.3%
  2. Fender Marcus sig

58 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. Musicman SUB X02

21 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Geddy Lee sig, Marcus Miller sig, and a Musicman SUB.

I play in band that goes from jazz to blues to funk rock, and all of these bass (IMO) are cut for the job, but each has its strong points. The Geddy has amazing growl, super classic Jazz tones when played from the bridge pickup, though passive, its piece of work. The Miller has great active controls, and that amazing slap tone. It has a different type of classic jazz tone..both the Jazzes are beautiful, too. The SUB has the Stingray sound down, and gets a good width of tones from the one pickup, both finger and slap. From testing each, I can say for finger tone, the Geddy wins, followed closely by the SUB, then the Marcus. Slap tone, the SUB and the Marcus both do an outstanding job. the Geddy was also great..but different..a more distinctive slap tone. The playability and setup on all was top notch, hte finish on the Fenders were HOT. The SUBs is unique..but I hate that pickguard...

...I really can't go wrong wtih any...but it's just so hard.

2. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    I know exactly what you´re talking about man.

Are all of those basses available for you to try?

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i would recommend getting a used stingray or sterling instead.

especially sterling, the tone is simply impeccable, and a neck that many here on TB believe to be the best out there.

4. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes, I've tried all these basses, including the newly mentioned Stingray and Sterling. The SUB tone isn't to far off, but a good ear can notice the difference...I suppose a used one would fall in my price range...

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I like both the Miller and the Lee sig, but I personally lean toward the Geddy Lee. Only because I'd take the pick-up guard off to play it, and I don't like how it looks with it off. Sounds dumb I know, but it's true...

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'd go for the MM Sig. It's the sexiest bass of those three. And it sounds the sexiest too.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a lover of all three, recently picked up a MM and it took the place of #1 from a beloved '78 Precision. It's got a Precision neck on it though :)

The Geddy was a great bass, actually would've taken one of those with a P-neck over the Marcus, but that's just me. The SUB is okay, the slab body didn't do it for me.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tough race between geddy and marcus. The SUB loses for me with the slab body. But between the geddy and marcus, Id say geddy but its tough.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I don't own any of them, but i've played all of them. The Marcus Miller J-bass was pretty awesome, but it was a bit to trebly for me. Also, the ashtray was really annoying, but that's an easy fix. The SUB to me was great, but just a bit too much punch. I played a Geddy Lee, and let me tell you, that thing's amazing. The neck is really fast and skinny, but it's still slapable. I could get some cool tones out of it. I'm in love...

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Out of the three choices, I would suggest the Geddy Lee. Then, later you could buy an outboard preamp - i.e. Aguilar, Sadowsky, East Retro, etc., and use it to dial in that Marcus Miller slap tone. Then you'll have the best of both worlds...

11. RedBlueFireMan

RedBlueFireMan

Jul 16, 2005
    If possible, play all 3 of those befor you buy it. And choose the one you liked best

12. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Marcus Miller or Geddy Lee,what a dilema :eyebrow:

13. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I picked the MM it's just so sexy!!!!!

14. Geddy! For the neck!

15. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    GETTY!!!!!

16. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    I love my Geddy
    I also own a Stingray however.. and love that too

I want to play a MM sig, it has me curious

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm GASing so bad for a Geddy Lee it's pathetic! There's one hanging in the local store that could be mine for $650! Ahhh.... :eek:

18. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Geddy's are great basses. Nothing else Fender makes beats that neck profile. I don't have experience with the others, but go for the Geddy.

19. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Go for the Geddy, it is an awesome bass! I can't get into the MM but that is just a personal preference thing. My second would be the SUB.

20. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    Is the Geddy made in Mexio only or is there an american model too? The Marcus is MIJ as I've got it. Right?