1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stuck in da corner (again)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Congaman, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Congaman

Congaman

Feb 7, 2008
    Kentucky
    Hey friends,
    I have been gigging with a classic rock and r&b cover band, using my new GK Backline 600 head through one blx210 cabinet. Several times lately, we have played venues where the stage was too narrow for our line up, and I am buried in the back corner. When that happens, I can't seem to get my cabinet's bass wave out of the abyss -- especially when it comes to any poppin and slappin technique -- it soudns dull and lifeless. It doesn't see to matter how much I scoop the mids. I have heard various things about propping the front up, getting the cab off the floor and onto chairs, or, conversely "using the floor" to help conduct the wave. Nothing seems to work to get my bass to bust out where it belongs. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. Scooping your mids is going to suck your volume, not boost it up. Mids are needed to cut through if you're having a hard time hearing yourself. Maybe it's time for a second cabinet for more volume.

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    x2

Time to boost your mids and add a 1x15 to that 2x10...

4. Stop scooping those mids and you'll be able to hear yourself, as clear as an azure blue sky on a summer's day.

5. Congaman

Congaman

Feb 7, 2008
    Kentucky
    it's not lacking in bottom, but really seems to lack punch articulation and clarity -- and fergit about poppin like Marcus Miller. It comes out like "thump. huh? thump. huh?" But I'll try flat eq and turning up the gain again... Maybe chuck the blx 210 for a cab with a horn? (Peavey TVX210? or an Avatar?)

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to all the above. Boost the mids, and either add another cab, or better, ditch the backline 210, (not a great cab), and get either a 4 ohm 2x12, or 4x10. That'll get you there.

7. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Corner loading will maximally boost the bass. My suggestion is to decrease the port area (which will lower the tuning and reduce the amount of upper bass energy contributed by the ports) or block off the ports entirely. Closed-cell foam (the kind you can't breathe through) is effective for this. Open-cell foam in the ports will also reduce the ports' contribution, but it's not as effective. I'm not sure which would be best for a high-power application like a bass cab, but neither one is very expensive.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

In a corner, you end up with a 9dB boost in bottom end, equivalent to 8x the power in the low end. Roll off the deep bottom with some EQ. That's why you have the knobs.

+1 on not scooping your mids.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Get a long cord or wireless so you can go FOH to hear how you really sound during sound check. Adjust your e.q. as necessary.

Is your cab 4 or 8 ohms?

10. Bingo!

clap.

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I shared your frustration..

I tried just about every amp and cabinet combo I could come up with..

For one of the rooms I've been playing ended up going in ear monitors direct to the PA

12. Congaman

Congaman

Feb 7, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all the ideas -- mainly flatten eq, or bump mids and highs, reduce the lows.
    The blx 210 cab is 4 ohm, non-ported, no horn or tweeter.
    Would getting the cab up off the floor help or hurt?
    Yeah, I have tried the genz-benz M200, a crate 310 w head and 4X10 cab all to no avail when backed into the corner like this....
    The backline has a nice direct out, so going to the PA is a viable alternative when some of our three singers don't show up <g>, otherwise, we don't have an open channel for me....
    It is interesting that during sound checks, when FOH is empty and not everyone is on stage at the same time, the amp sounds great -- but as soon as everyone is on stage and the house is (even partly) full the sound (especially the top-end) gets sucked into oblivion.
    Thanks again for your ideas!

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There is a reason why we (designers) put EQ on amps... to help players solve problems just like your problem. Most low shelving eq's will be very helpful as their response is quite similar to the type of loading response you are seeing with your speaker corner loaded. Try turning the low freq eq down a little bit. Also, don't cut the ids as that will make the problem seem even worse than it really is. Listen to the sound out in the room too, it may sound a lot different than where you are sitting on the stage.

14. Congaman

Congaman

Feb 7, 2008
    Kentucky
    BTW -- the 210 BLX is 8 ohm -- GK backline 600 is 300 w at 4 ohm, 175 at 8 -- so it wasn't producing the wattage/volume that I was expecting either....

15. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    You should name your rig Baby, because........

Nobody put Baby in a corner.

Bad one, huh?

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I still think you'd be happier with another, bigger spkr cab. Good luck.

17. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    turn up the mids, and turn the cab so that the 10's are up and down.

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's certainly your best bet.

19. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Blare the mids man.

20. dog1