1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stuck in the 70's gui****'s CL Ad

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mboogiemanusa, May 16, 2011.

1. Just want to say upfront -apologize in advance for this long post

A drummer friend of mine asked me to do a little garage jam with a guitar player he met that recently moved into the area. Seemed like nice guy at first and decent player that knew a lot of songs from the 60's and mid 70's and oddly no cover songs from the late 70's forward. After the jam .....we both felt that there may be an odd quirk regarding his personality and we decided not to do a second jam. Basically talk talk and more talk. I found out later that he had been calling my friend 3 times a day for a week to do another jam until my friend told him that it was not going to work out. Anyway, the jam became less about playing music and more about this 60 year old gui**** telling name dropping stories about his glory days. I had wished he could have played as good as the stories (again all from the 70's) but by the end of jam it all started sound like a bunch of BS. Don't know where he has been the past 30 years but thought you all may get a kick out of his CL ad he posted last week looking for musicians. Playing with him reminded my of that old story Rip Van Winkle.

.................................................................................

I am a professional lead guitarist/ lead vocalist available in XXXXX looking to play as often as possible.
    I feel that a day I don’t play music is a band day...it is part of my soul.
    In the 70’s, 80’s there were “house Bands”. We played 5 sets/night, 6 nights/week, at the same club for 4 – 6 months straight. We knew enough songs we could play a week without repeating a song. Of course, requests were always repeated...
    I played the Attic in MDR for over a year, then our band bought the club with the money I made part-time in real estate when I got my real estate license in 1975. I still own my company, so I have flexible hours.
    I am happy to play anywhere, anytime and I don’t care if I don’t get paid (it would be nice to get at least some gas money, though).
    I have wheels, amps & 2 P.A.’s of different sizes. I prefer to play parties, wedding receptions...I played every venue there is. A high-school prom, college parties on the Queen Mary, at frat & sororities, weddings, beach parties, parties out in the desert with generators, 5,000 - 8,000 person concerts in huge venues when I was signed to Crescendo Records and my songs were on KLOS, Gazzarri’s for years, Starwood, nearly every bar in L.A. county.
    My first record on Original Sound Records was a blues song when we were the house band at The Topanga Corral. Taj Mahal sat in with us a lot and Neil Young took us to parties at his house after hours. I could go on but I think you get the idea.
    I became a recording engineer, starting at Wally Hider Studios in Hollywood and was chief engineer for 3 studios for 5 years, studying engineering as much as possible.
    I then bought my own 2” tape analog Ampex MM1200 24-track machine and a 36 track board plus a ton of outboard equipment.
    As I had designed and wired Canned Heat’s Studio in Mar Vista for Fito de la Parra and engineered there for a year, I had no trouble designing and plugging in every wire (I majored in electronics in college).But I missed the stage so I formed new bands.
    But the L.A. music scene fell apart (pay to play? What a rip-off!. A different band every night? House bands were good because the fans knew where you were every night. My bands always packed where we played.)
    And L.A. became just too dangerous and smoggy so I moved here to wonderful Ventura Beach.

I hope to find some pro musicians who just miss playing like I do and want to get together, or even better yet, a classic rock/(maybe some original &/or some blues) band that plays regularly and need a singer/guitarist..
    I own my own real estate company so my time is flexible.
    My favorite styles are The Stones, Hendrix, Petty, Kinks, Tull, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Van Morrison, Zep, Aerosmith, etc. and all blues. I have been told I do a great Joe Cocker (The Letter, Unchain my heart).
    I know the words and chords to over 900 songs.
    For your convenience, I could fax or email a short list of about 100 Classic Rock & Blues songs which I can sing.
    I have been signed to several record contracts. I wrote & sang my original for Crescendo Records (Kim Fowley was our producer), who picked an option for another year.

PLEASE, no egos, drugs, amateurs. At least one, if not two other lead singers besides me is a must to really astound people when we play. Vocal power is as important as being able to play instruments proficiently. When faced with auditions with other bands, we always got the gig because we had 2 or 3-part harmony. The other bands could play just as well, but has only one singer.
    I can play from soft rock to power rock! But if we can’t move the people, we have no right to be in the place. We should practice until we are tight and amazing. With pros, that should not be too hard to do.
    There are so many songs to be played. I feel any one band member can veto a song if that person really hates it. There is nothing worse than hearing grumbling when starting a song. A band of musicians should be happy with every song, thusly making the sound truly great.
    I played with Taj Mahal, John Lee Hooker, Canned Heat, Alice (Vince Fernier) Cooper; lots of Rock Stars. Van Halan opened for us for years on the Sunset strip where I played Gazzarri’s for 8 years. I booked the band to 5000 – 8000 person dance concerts (Hot Lucy, Hammerhead w/ Kim Fowley producing) for years.
    Many managers/agents in L.A. seem to be crooks so I did the booking myself. Built the light show, printed the flyers, drove the roadies around to staple flyers up (now we have the internet) Built the fire show.
    About 3 years ago my band played a charity (The Peace through Music Foundation) at the Ventura Majestic Theatre. After the sound check, we walked around and thought “What a great place to live”. So I escaped from L.A.
    I have loved living in Ventura these past 2 years! But I want to connect with pro musicians here.
    I have 4 different sized amps; all old tube amps with a great bluesy-rock sound for the respective sized rooms and 2 P.A. systems.
    That concept, not playing too loud, is how we kept many jobs. Being great is not good enough if you blast everyone out.
    A good band plays like a well-oiled machine – together. Listen to each other. And at a volume that does not hurt everyone’s ears.
    That’s the idea of smaller amps for smaller venues...my 1965 Fender Deluxe-Reverb amp can be turned up for power sound but not be too loud for a club. The 1965 Silvertone with the 12” Jensen speaker (with 2 – 6V6 power tubes) is perfect for house parties. It has a great blues – rock sound when cranked up without being loud. What a classic amp! The 1972 Marshall 100-watt is for outside gigs.
    Vocals are a must.
    A band with 2-3 strong singers will always be hired before a band with only one vocalist (unless you have Jim Morrison as your lead singer).

My style of singing is like Cocker, Steve Miller, George Thorogood, John Fogerty, Mick Jaeger, ZZ Top, Petty, Kinks, and the rough Blues stuff.
    I can harmonize on Fleetwood Mac (and other) songs as well. (Go your own way, Double Vision)
    If it’s OK with everyone else, I also like the idea of anyone in the band coming up with ideas to make the song we play our own.
    For instance, at the end of double vision, I have this idea which worked out very well. At the end of the song, we stay on the Am – Dm in a sort of calypso-rock beat, softly at first. Then I inject blues lead here and there, leaving lots of room to breath. The riffs and we all build as I work my way up the neck until the whole band reaches a climatic ending.
    I did that at the Light House and we got an 8-minute standing ovation from a full house!
    If there is another guitarist, harmonies are great as well as trade offs, known as “call & response”. You play a measure; I play a measure, back and forth if that works for you.

Another idea I have and it works; in the middle of a cover other song, let the song fall apart momentarily, for about 4 – 5 seconds, and then jump back in again. Not long enough to lose any dancers. It makes the cover song our own. Use that on one or two songs...just a thought.

I play a lot of charities free. I played for HBO at Joe Powlina’s Boxing Club on La Brea & Wilshire, to raise money for a blind school. Lots of big-shots were there. Open sushi & alcohol bar. We played in one of the boxing rings. We were one of 3 bands.
    That makes me feel good inside, knowing I raised money for a good cause.
    Lately, my best friend of many decades, Fito de la Parra (Canned Heat’s drummer) and I have been playing for a non-profit school who teach kids who cannot afford lessons. We play events to bring money in for the school. It is a shame music has been dropped from many school’s curriculum.

Ego trips disrupt the continuity and pleasure of the music. So does excessive alchol. The only time I drink is I nurse a light beer just to wet my whistle for vocals; never enough to get drunk. That would interfere with the music.
    I am easy to get along with, so let’s try it out and see how it sounds.
    I am available every day at any time.
    I don’t need to be “The Star”. Been there and done that. I am happy to play as best as possible and never step on other people’s toes.
    I don't, however, just stand there like a cardboard cut-out like some bands I have seen lately.
    I move around with the music. The band should put on a show. I even have seen bands reading the words from a book on a music stand because they can't memorize the words. Might as well just put up cardboard cut-outs of musicians and just play a CD through the speakers!

In the studio is Richard Diamond, an incredible rock drummer from my previous band Hot Lucy - By the way, Lucy is what I named my a 1972 Gibson SG Deluxe, I used to set her on fire (thus the name Hot Lucy) - just the back - at the last note of the end of each show.
    Lighter fluid burns at a low kindling point so it never hurt the finish but it was very effective holding the flaming back over my head while the band holds out the last note of the last song and I say into the mic while holding the flaming guitar over my head "Thank you (insert name of city) We Love you!!!” But that was only for big dance concerts. I wouldn't do that in a club.
    -Richard may be potentially available for any project I put together-. The bassist is Stephan Ellis, bassist for Survivor.

I just want to play some good ol’ Rock & Roll. I am looking for pros who want to do the same.
    Let’s try it out and see how it sounds!

2. JumboJack

JumboJack

Dec 31, 2007
    Lakewood,CA.
    Wow.....

3. drewdunkin

drewdunkin

Aug 24, 2010
    Absurd.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Does he get paid by the word?

5. MrGotBass

MrGotBass

Jul 28, 2009
    tl%20dr.

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think you just won the Internet for today.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Good call ...

8. And then he goes on (and on), anyway.

9. Subbed for later ingestion...

10. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Sorry, I couldn't finish it.

11. I got about halfway through the ad. Got to the point where he SHOULD have ended it and thought he was going to, and then he went right back into the stars he's played with.

12. Nothing wrong with playing 70's music, if you can actually play. His ad was so long that I only skimmed over it. This guy is taking things much to seriously for someone who is obviously an amateur.

13. lol... those who made it halfway made it much further than I did... I gave up shortly after the 2nd line as I saw it.... and 50s-70s music is great.... kind of hard to get away with just doing that now (unless you're a tribute act)... but yeah not jamming the 2nd time was a good idea... unless you sent him some new things to listen to and try just to see if he could handle it

14. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Anybody that talks that much about how good they are, never seem to be very good

15. +1 Yup ...that's pretty much what we discovered

16. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Sweet mercy, I'm a nearly 55 year old fart, still playing, and I could write an ad seeking to form a band, or jam, etc, in a short paragraph or two. It sounds like he's been out of the loop for a long time and just wants to climb up on a soap box and geek about his good old days.

17. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - what is a "low kindling point"? Does he mean low flash point?

I also liked the bit about stopping a song and then restarting 4-5 seconds later. Translation: epic mistake in the middle by a bonehead who thinks he knows >900 songs...