Stuck in the middle with (bass decisions)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smokey, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Hey all. I don't post in the bass section very often, its suits me better as an information area. But, I'm stuck in the crosshairs, so to speak. Right now, I've been playing since October. Now, I played guitar for two years, taking the time to learn every chord and scale, not wanting to be regulated to power chords and the like. I played French Horn for 1 1/2 years before that. My set up is simply a MIM Fender Precision, and a fender Bassman 60 combo. I love this amp, and the P-bass fits my simple, meat-and-potatoes style of playing.
    Now, I feel like I'm stuck. I'm not a technical player, my influences are mainly Jack Bruce, JPJ, Paul Simonon, and Tim Commerford, very simple yet effective bassists that could lay down a groove for their respective bands. My problem: I enjoy my Precision bass (I enjoy the MIA even more) but, is there something else for me? I play both finger style and with a pick, and the Pbass seems to be The bass for both styles, the standard bass for everything, before upgrading.
    With my simple yet delicate playing, should I stick with what I like in this bass? The punch I get with a pick, and the Thump I get from my fingers? I am interested in Rickenbackers, though I have never tried one, but I hear great things about RICs cutting through the mix. But I hear they have very little to offer in terms of finger players. My main question being, is there a reason for me to to move on to major basses (major purchases) or is my simple bass good for my simple style? Any input is appreciated, sorry for the rant-like post.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have two ricks, a 4001 and 4003. The 4001 is a fixup project, the 4003 is one of my main basses. It's a great bass and sure does cut through. It has great tone with both a pick and fingerstyle. The slap tone is poor though, it sounds like you're plucking quite hard. But it doesn't have that good slap tone. It's still a very good bass. Also, 20 frets is kind of limiting :-\, other than that.. :D
  3. Im primarily a pick player on my Ric...but i also get great sounds from fingerstyle. And yes Rics can cut through very well.
    I would definitely try to get ahold of a Ric somewhere to try if i were you...alot of people find them as either love or hate kinda things from my experience.

The only one that can awnser whether you have a good reason to move to another bass is you. Sounds like you already know the are just trying to justify it to yourself ;)
  4. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Try a Jazz style bass, and try a ric, and try a hi-fi active elec and all that fun stuff type of bass.....they all have there uses, pros and cons.

Personaly i think P bass'es dont cut threw well, but in the right use they are awsome.

Rics on the other hand, just form what ive herd, arent the worlds best slap bass. But they are killer pick and fingerstyle : )
  5. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    If you dig the bass you're playing, keep on truckin'!
    I know some guitar players who go through the near constant need to buy new gear (gas), but it seems to really affect bass players. We get so used to practicing by ourselves, and so used to tweaking that sound, that sometimes jamming with others doesn't sound right. We blame ourselves, our amp, our bass, and while we're doing that , the song is going by. By all means, try some stuff out, there are always basses that do this better. play faster, blah blah blah, but the bottom line is, are you happy with the bass? Never mind that Johnny shwing plays a butterbean bass made out of earwax wood, what do you play?