Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stuck like glue

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by EricF, Nov 3, 2005.

1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I anchor my right thumb against the side of the pup when I play - all the time. I've read on occasion that your thumb should move from string to string (anchor on E-string when playing the A-string, etc.), but I just end up feeling lost. Being anchored in one spot gives me a point of reference that makes moving from string to string easy for me. Am I limiting myself, or is this an acceptable technique?

2. That's totally acceptable. Don't worry about it, many many a great player uses that technique.

3. Whatever works for you is the best to use IMO.

4. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    It's good for muting if you learn to move down to the E and A.. Start doing it on some songs, get used to it. It'll start to be habbit, trust me. It's what I did

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    And therefore its what we all should do? :D

6. I keep it on the pup all the time. I started with a 5'er some time ago, and there I anchor on the B-string and only move to the pup when playing it. Nothing wrong with anchoring on the pup and keeping it there AS LONG as you mute the E/A enough with your fingers.

7. Some people (me included) get used to one hand position to attack the strings. The thumb/finger position on the E string with the thumb rooted to the pickup is what I base my entire right hand technique off of. I was able to develop speed and accuracy with this position. It was natural for me to anchor my thumb on the E (or A) (or D) when I was playing the other strings because my hand remained in the same position.

Ain't no right or wrong, but you like to anchor to something solid and I like to maintain my hand position without having to stretch to reach the other strings.

8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    i use the moving anchor technique, it helps with muting and i can reach the higher strings much easier, i play a 5string btw and i'm going to get a 6 string...

9. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    It seems to work just fine for John Patitucci. On my 4's my thumb is usually anchored on the ramps. On my 5's in floats 100% of the time.