Stuck truss rod cover screw

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pbassist, Sep 13, 2017.

1. pbassist

pbassist

Nov 2, 2008
    Hi,

While trying to put my Yamaha TRB5P truss rod cover I stripped the screw head. I had the cover off for a long time, so maybe the wood expanded making the screw too large for the hole.

yamaha.jpeg

Now I'm unable to take the screw out. I have tried putting bit of machine oil and small pliers and I can't move it a bit, seems the wood is very hard maple and the screw is really stuck on it.

What would you suggest to take the screw out? I have been thinking about getting an specialized pliers for extracting screws like VAMPLIERS® MINI - 5" SCREW EXTRACTION PLIERS | Vampire Tools or ENGINEER INC. - SCREW PLIERS TO REMOVE STUCK, STRIPPED OR DAMAGED SCREW, but I don't have and experience with these so I don't know if are the best approach.

The route is around 25mm length, 12mm width and 10mm height, the screw drive is for a 3mm screwdriver, and the head diameter is around 5mm.

Thanks.

2. Atshen and JeroB666 like this.
  3. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    first pass, i would cut a slot in the head with a dremel and thin cut off blade and back it out with a screwdriver or grind some flats on the outside of the head and grab it with some pointy vise-grips.

digmeout likes this.
  4. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Why was the cover off the bass?

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Small set of vice grips. That's always done the job for me.

6. pbassist

pbassist

Nov 2, 2008
    These pliers looks fine, but I would need to check if the head fits into the cavity (I can't find an the dimensions in the page).

About the iron, I'm concerned about melting the plastic cover or the finish around.

I don't have a dremel, I'm also concerned about damaging the bass, as I need to get inside the route to reach the screw.

The hex key I had was too long and did not fit with the cover. I got a set of keys with ball ends a few weeks ago so I decided to put it back.

7. I've got some small needle nose type vise grips. That would probably be what I'd try first. However, my Dremel is about shot so that may be why I'd try those first.

8. pbassist

pbassist

Nov 2, 2008
    I'm reluctant to use a dremel, I haven't use one before and the route is small.

I'm considering getting one of The Original™ Long Nose Locking Pliers with Wire Cutter - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS, probably the 4" model, but I can't find the dimensions in the page. Does somebody know the approximate tip size?

9. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Rubber band trick works......

10. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 to these.
    IRW_1602L3.jpg

TimB 619 likes this.
  11. pbassist

pbassist

Nov 2, 2008
    I just tried it with a couple rubber bands I had around here. Didn't work. The screw is too hard.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    It looks pretty beat up. If you can't get it with a pair of needle nose, I'd be careful about vise grips, you could well break the screw if you clamp it and try to force it.

13. pbassist

pbassist

Nov 2, 2008
    Finally I got a good quality small pliers from the hardware store and I managed to get it out (the other pliers I have are too old and the jaws are too worn-out).

Thanks to everyone for the help.

14. Glad it worked out.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021