Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stuck

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bfitz, May 18, 2005.

1. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    hey
    this is my first time posting on this forum so hello.
    ive been looking around for some advice. ive been playing bass for around ten years and im just stuck right now. i havent really been able to get any good ideas for songs, lines, or anything musical for a while now and i was hoping that you guys might have some advice to help

thanks

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome.

I said it as no one else did yet!

There is a lot of inspiration on TB.

DO NOT VISIT THE 'BASSES' FORUM,

as the evil moderators there may instill an incurable
    disease we all have called G.A.S. ( Gear Acquisition
    Syndrome ) which will take over your life, cause you to
    drool uncontrollably and likely empty your bank account
    in the search for perfection.

I have found the Amps forum quite useful, particularly the
    some of the FAQ writing and threads.

A lot of interesting topics have been dealt with, and if
    there is a band or bassist you like, try using the search function to peruse what has been posted about them.

Have a lot of fun, you are going to love this place!

3. welcome to TB

I havnt been playing nearly as long as you have but I know ruts happen.

All I can really say is try new stuff. Listen to and learn some jazz if thats not what your into already, maybe blues? Or even try to play with a pick. Trying to learn something new should get you rolling.

4. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    thanks guys

ive been looking around here for a while and there is a lot of help here. on a side question, i just picked up a boss gt-6b pedal and was wondering if anyone had experience with it

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Welcome!!!

for inspiration.... just listen to something new!

try lurking in the "Now Playing" and "Favorite Bassist" threads for ideas of stuff to listen to. Also, download and listen to the stuff the others here are doing.... lots of unsung bass monsters hangin' round.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I know how you feel. Barriers can sometimes be difficult to get over. I came up against the same sort of thing. How I over came it, was by under-going a massive life chaginging experience, which wasn't even directly related to music. But it does prove that all things are connected. The insiration that you seek, might not even be directly related to music as well (who knows). I also found that teaching someone else, helped to answer questions that I had about musical stuff.

Explore
    Ask
    Listen