1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stud has come out of body. What to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by colinmk, Sep 29, 2008.

1. colinmk

colinmk

May 25, 2008
    I have an Epiphone Rivoli hollowbody with a 3point bridge. One of the studs came out when I was adjusting it the other day much to my bitter annoyance. I pushed it almost all the way back in and have superglued it in place but I fear it will come out again so can anyone give me advice on how to solve this problem? Also I can;t seem to get it all the way back in to the body even with all my weight on it...

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    :confused:
    I had a white Epi Thunderbird that did the same thing.
    EpiStudProblem.

I put Crazy Glue gel in the stud hole edges and lightly on the outside of the stud and tapped it into place with my wife's VERY lightweight "hobby hammer"...making SURE not to get gel into the screw threads. Worked fine.

If you put it back in but not all the way and the CG dried....dunno other than live with it or take it to a good luthier.

3. boomba

boomba

Feb 13, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    I just repaired my Thunderbird EPI using a 2 part Epoxy and it works great.

4. colinmk

colinmk

May 25, 2008
    Aye mate thats whats happened to mine, I have already glued it back in and the grooved part sticks out about 3/4 mm. I can live with this though but my main fear is it coming out mid gig.

Is epoxy a good thing to fasten it in? If it comes out again I might try that.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The superglue should hold very well as long as the metal stud was clean and had no oil, wax or grease on it. Epoxy will work too but is a bit messy as you have to allow for what squeezes out of the hole when you drive the stud back in. Superglue should be plenty strong enough.

To remove the stud it might be possible to wick some superglue remover into the hole to soften it and allow you to pull it out. Then clean all the mating surfaces, enlarge the hole slightly so you can drive the stud in all the way and reglue. The glue remover will be harmful to some finishes though so you'll have to mask off and work carefully. Plan ahead.