Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Student in training

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by radioodidty, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Hello Everyone,

I am new to talk bass, I found out about it through www.activebass.com and saw how great the forum was for bassists. I took a look at the Newbie thread posted by Chris and have a general idea on what to get for my first double bass. But, I was wondering if there are any recommended ones for a high school senior, I don't want to get something to expensive, because I'm still learning the upkeep/cleaning/set ups etc. of a double bass. However, I don't want something that is not quality. Any recomendations? My other question is, in most auditions are electric/acoustic Double Basses acceptable, or do I need strictly acoustic?

Thanks for listening,
    Joe

2. Welcome. Answering your question with a question, auditions for what? You'll never see an electric in an orchestra; dance bands, show bands, etc. could be a different story.

You are going to study with a teacher, aren't you? You could pick the teacher, tell him/her your situation, and ask for some guidance in picking a double bass.

You didn't say 'upright' or 'standup', so you're off to a good start. (I'm too mature to post a smilie, but here is where I'd do it.)

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I like. There's gotta be a way to rig up a keyboard shortcut for that.

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    A wry smilie perhaps?