1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Student Strategy

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by footprints89, Jun 27, 2012.

1. I just started teaching bass and acquired my first student last week. We went through beginning exercises, and I introduced him to the musical alphabet today. What should I do with him next? I had some ideas, but I was curious what my colleagues would do. What is the next step, and if it's a song, what song?

2. Man I'm no teacher but I would have to know what the student wanted to do. I would say start learning a song while recognizing the chord changes.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Teach him a song, something basic he'll recognize, what song I cannot tell you, I don't know your student. Don't get too hard into theory right now, just get him playing for the first month. You don't want to overwhelm him.