1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Studio amp, FX or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jon Langlois, Nov 27, 2018.

1. jon Langlois

jon Langlois

Nov 27, 2018
    Hello!
    I am a studio owner who occasionally plays bass, and I record other players regularly. I am adding a bass amp for monitoring purposes, but I'd like something with FX just for jamming, fun, and possible use in recording. Some of the amp / cab models seem to be as good as some of the plugins I use after the fact, as well. Also, it seems like hearing some of that effected / modeled sound appears to have a positive effect on the player while laying the track, vs plugging in direct and adding “tone” later, even if I also record a dry take and change the tone in mixing.
    I feel like 40 - 50 watts seems to be loud enough.
    The fender rumble was recommended by a few friends as a low cost, decent amp. The studio version looks fun, but I wonder if the onboard FX are as good, better, worse, etc., than a low cost pedal? The studio model is 150$ more than the plain 40 watt amp, so I'm wondering what's the best multi FX in that price range?
    OR, what would you suggest as the best way to spend 350-400$ for an amp and possibly some FX?
    I'd "like" a USB port for direct digital recording, but it’s not critical.
    I have a sans amp bddi, Radial JDI, and nice preamps for direct recording already, and a wide variety of mics, for cabs or speakers.
    Thanks for your advice!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. jon Langlois

jon Langlois

Nov 27, 2018
    Also considering b3n.
    And also, what are your favorite plugins for use in mixing? And how do those plugins compare to pedal or amp based FX?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There are many ways to skin a cat. Every approach is good if it delivers what you want. Plugins are like anything else...some are good, some suck. Same with built-in amp effects, although since processing power is very limited in low cost amps, I'm not all that stoked over most that I've heard. I still prefer the old fashioned pedal approach, but I wouldn't rule out using plugins or built-in amp effects, as long as they were good. I would sooner use plugins, though, since they're not as limited in quality by processing power. Might be interested in multis like Axe-FX or Helix, though. I'd be way more into them than the built-in effects of a $200 or $300 combo.

4. jon Langlois

jon Langlois

Nov 27, 2018
    Fair enough!! Thanks!
    So I suppose I have enough plugins.
    What would y’all recommend as far as rumble 40 studio vs regular rumble 40 plus zoom b3n (or similar)

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The waves PRS suite can be used live and does allow for player interaction. Digital builtins in amps can be cheesey, unless you want distortion/fuzz. It comes down to budget.

If you can swing it, get a tube amp and small cabinet suitable for a studio. Ampeg PF-20T or PF-50T are geared for studio use. They can be used without a speaker connected. Personally, I like the sound obtained by combining DI and mic’ed cab.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Wasnex and jon Langlois like this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Probably the most recorded studio amp in the 60’s and 70’s, Ampeg B-15N. Still sought after.

17B2D573-7040-449C-9757-8D8138EA8E3F.

JimmyM and jon Langlois like this.
  7. jon Langlois

jon Langlois

Nov 27, 2018
    I bet that sounds amazing!! A bit out of my reach at the moment, but I know what I'll aim towards in the future!!!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  8. jon Langlois

jon Langlois

Nov 27, 2018
    So I went with the rumble studio 40, and the effects sound great!

bcbckr likes this.