1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Studio Bass that ISN'T a P-Bass or J-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DCWalt, Jan 21, 2021.

1. DCWalt

DCWalt

Jan 12, 2021
    I've put a TLDR list of basses I'm looking into at the end of my post if you'd rather skip the rest. I'm going through and looking up each of these basses but I was hoping to hear some opinions that might help me narrow down my search. Any input at all would be amazing!

I'm looking for a bass that records well but I suppose I'd also like to be a hipster about it. There's nothing wrong with precision or jazz basses but I see and hear them everywhere and I'd like something a little different.

I currently have an Ibanez SR250. It's served me well enough to learn on but it has some electronics problems and the pickups are intensely microphonic which I've found hard to record with.

I've been looking around for a new bass somewhere between $300 and $500ish and I think I'd like to go passive. Changing the battery in my Ibanez constantly has put me off active basses I think.

Straight away a bunch of Epiphone basses caught my eye. I looked into the EB-3 quite a bit and it seems pretty interesting but the neck dive issue gives me pause and people keep telling me it has a limited and niche tone. I've also been looking at their Embassy Bass, Thunderbird IV and Allen Woody. Overall I love the look of the Epiphone basses and, aside from the thunderbird, They're all set neck.

Danelectro is the other brand that caught my eye. The '56 Bass, '59DC and the Longhorn all seem interesting. The Longhorn is certainly very unique but I don't know a lot about their pickups or people's feelings on their basses.

The only other bass i've come across more than once is the Gretsch G2220 junior Jet Bass II. but I don't really know anything about it.

TLDR:

Epiphone:
    EB-3, Embassy Bass, Thunderbird IV, Allen Woody

Danelectro:
    '56, '59DC, Longhorn

Other:
    Gretsch G2220 junior Jet Bass II

2. DCWalt

DCWalt

Jan 12, 2021
    Anyone?

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Huh? I hardly ever change mine. Unplug the lead when not in use.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look for a Peavey T-40.

B-Mac, allen_m, Big Boz and 16 others like this.
  5. DCWalt

DCWalt

Jan 12, 2021
    I do unplug it

6. DCWalt

DCWalt

Jan 12, 2021
    Those are going for like $800+

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It depends. One sold locally for $399 plus tax.

comatosedragon likes this.
  8. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Your budget will go wayyyy farther used. I'd look on here or on Reverb for something like an older made in USA Peavey or made in Japan Yamaha from the 80s to get a higher quality instrument for less. Another thing to note is that you're making some judgments on P/J tones, don't overlook the fact that there are some pretty funky pickup combinations that give unique tones. One of my favorite basses is a fretless jazz bass with a humbucker in it.

dbsfgyd1, nuage420b and Dabndug like this.
  9. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I was surprised by how good the Gibson EB bass sounded in a blind listening test.

10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Danelectro Longhorn has a good, solid tone. I've seen them used live and thought they delivered sonically. Presumably they record well, although I am not sure if that bridge can achieve total intonation, or whether it is more of a "close enough" proposition.

Also, what this chappie said - good sounding bass! And a better bridge with the four adjustable saddles. When I think "recording bass," I think intonation.

11. WillyWonka

WillyWonka "zero" fret Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Of the ones on your list, I would pick the 59dc, I haven’t played the Gretsch, so I don’t know how it would record. But it looks cool.

the ergonomics on the 59dc are nicer than the longhorn but that would do also.

12. DCWalt

DCWalt

Jan 12, 2021
    You're saying the EB has a good bridge? i keep hearing people say it sucks because it's standing up on three bolts instead of being in full contact with the body. also, thoughts on the neck dive issue?

13. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    p13.jpg

14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I am talking about the EB bass; I believe you're talking about the eb-0 or the eb-3

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  15. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Gibson eb. The bridges is a full-contact plate akin to a Fender bent metal bridge.

lkawfmlylm9iteltefui.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    ajkula66, bobba66, FRoss6788 and 5 others like this.
  16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Here's an example of a three-point bridge.
    jfourox6u0m3zoyi8v6r.jpg

17. DCWalt

DCWalt

Jan 12, 2021
    Yes, that's the one i thought you where talking about and that's one of the basses i had been looking closely at

18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Well, as i said, my recommendation is the eb. Which is the model that other fellow recommended. Not this.

eJake likes this.
  19. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    get the GRETSCH :woot:

4andnomore and GoLeafsGo like this.
  20. DCWalt

DCWalt

Jan 12, 2021
    how come?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021