1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Studio Doom band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sapatown, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Hey people,

We are going in the studio with a Norwegian concept in the way of Monolord, or the Doom version of Royal Blood/Death From Above 1979 - Bass duo, with a vocalist.

We will probably use a Fender bassman 500 as top or Aguliar Tonehammer 500, but we have some more I can't think of right now.

We can choose from these guitar and bass amps:
    Orange OD120 1976
    Egnater Rebel 20
    Framus Cobra
    Peavey 6505+
    Orange Terror Bass
    Mark Bass Little Mark ll
    Trace Elliot Series 6
    Peavey 5150 4×12
    Marshall JCM 800 1960 & 1982
    Orange 2×12 Creamback
    Peavey 6×10 Bass

The producer want to use two guitar amps, and one bass amp.
    We play with a Rickenbacker 4003 bass, and we gonna go for to drive the bridge signal trough the two guitar amps, and the neck pickup signal trough the bass amp, with Rick O Sound.

We also use alot of fuzz, and some effects, but also with clean parts with only drums and clean bass.

So which one of those amps would you guys use?

Best regards,

2. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    - OD 120 and 5150
    - Either the orange terror bass or the little mark, depending on how much wool / dirt you want baked in with the "clean" bass track

EDIT: I'm sorry, after re-reading the OP I'd replace the Little Mark with the Tone Hammer. Either it or the Terror Bass should make for a great thick bass track, with a little bit of "hair"

3. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Nice! We think the same!
    We will have ampeg 6x10 as a bass cab. With a little extra.

And go for the marshalls as guitar cabs.

Gonna be exciting to so how this turns out!

4. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    We also got a Fender bassman 500 as a top now. So thats our favorite head right now.
    But we will ofc try all.

5. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    We also have two GK 4x10 and an Ampeg 6x10.

We will run bass trough some of those, and have the rickenbacker bridge go trough two Marshall 4x10 guitar amps.

6. Soundworks

Soundworks Supporting Member

May 12, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    This goes without saying but be sure to record the straight DI signals. I am an engineer and I know I can always build a solid/deep low end from a DI (especially if it's a good quality, NON-tube one like Radial JDI or API). Perhaps counter intuitive but I prefer to build this tone from the bridge pup off a Rick -- it's tighter and easier to get to sit with the kick and any other low end going on.

7. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Thank you so much! Really appreciated. I told my producer as a tip.

Gonna be pretty wild to test this concept.
    I will let you know how it goes after the studio!

8. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    id go for the old orange 120 myself and a jcm 800 to start with for the treble pickup

9. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    So we went in there and it was awsome. We got to try this stuff, and it worked out pretty decent.

The producer set up the sound, so we werent so much involved. Only on effect pedals and if we should use bridge or neck pickup or both. We ended up using the neck pickup on all 5 songs. We recorded them live! In one day. Me and the drummer. Was a really good challange. And my fingers were sweating so much.

My Ric bridge pickup got screwed the day before the studio. It got fixed last minute of a tech I know in a store right around the corner. But we tried everything up until that point, so we did't know what to do. Half an hour before my soundcheck I got it fixed in like 15 minutes. And went right in.

If it didn't work, I had to play with a Gibson Thunderbird. And I love those, but its not the right feel to hold it in my hands for this kinda music. Glad it worked out.

Bugeyed Earl and monsterthompson like this.
  10. All of them, all at once, one mic in the middle of the room. That'll doom it.