1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Studio gig recording backing tracks payment

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RR FACE, Apr 14, 2010.

1. RR FACE

RR FACE

Jul 14, 2009
    Brown Town
    I've been playing bass for a while, and have done some studio work, but mostly just for my bands and for friends. I've never just been offered a studio gig (especially without advertising myself). Today I got an offer to record backing tracks for some classic rock covers. The guy is going to be using these lines live and wants a "real" bass player to record them. I think it's a great idea, especially because I don't have time to play with him live even if he asked. I've been searching the forums for a suggested pay I should ask for something like this, but the closest thing I found was this thread. That was 6 years ago. lol.
    He wants to record 5 tracks at a time doing a few different sessions. I asked for the songs ahead of time. They're fairly simple tunes and I'll be able to learn them easily given some time to practice them. I'm thinking about asking for $40-50 a song, but I'm not entirely sure. Any suggestions?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    For a friend, that doesn`t sound bad at all.

3. RR FACE

RR FACE

Jul 14, 2009
    Brown Town
    Well, he's not a friend. haha. He was just a somebody who was referred to me by the guitar shop manager I give lessons at. I don't want to ask for too much, but I'm not trying to do this guy a favor.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    How many songs total does he want to do?

How many hours will it take to get one song recorded? Only one take?

Ask him how much he's willing to pay and go from there. If it's not worth it to you, maybe skip the whole deal.

5. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I'd suggest you start by working out how much you think your time is worth per hour, adding transport costs, then figuring out a per-song rate from there.

6. RR FACE

RR FACE

Jul 14, 2009
    Brown Town
    The drive isn't far. I'm not that great in the studio, but I can get them down in a few takes. He wants to do 5 songs a session, I'm not sure how many sessions total. I'll ask what he's willing to pay. I really don't need the money right now, but I'd sure like it!

7. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

$250 a day --- then get the rights to have a copy for your portfolio.

just sending a baseline..

this material is great for a portfolio as it shows your talents unclouded.

8. RR FACE

RR FACE

Jul 14, 2009
    Brown Town
    Fantastic. That's pretty much what I wanted to hear and what I was thinking. :)

9. MNAirHead

I'm answering from your perspective.. some will question what I've charged.. that's almost irrelevant.

I know you'll get tired.. it is cool for the hiring guy to suggest a single day rate.. then have them send you prep materials and do as many as possible.

When I've done this.. I've had them email scratch tracks.. I'll then put a test bass line over top of it.. this way they can send requests etc.

It is cool to get a written referral or quote for your portfolio.. few folks do sessions.

Tim

10. MNAirHead

Oh yea.. 1/2 down when starting to learn the material.. 1/2 due when you show up at the recording location.