Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Studio Internships/Apprenticeships

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Sep 10, 2003.

1. If this is not the correct forum then please redirect me... sorry for the inconvenience

Well here is my situation. I have been enrolled at Rhode Island Community College for the past year as its the only thing i can afford on my own and I have been studying Computer Sciences. I have recently been going through a very change of life phase and seriously do not want to do this anymore. I cant even get through a day of classes because I can't stop thinking of the thousands of other things I would rather be doing. I just don't want to be a programmer for te rest of me life.

Well here is where my question comes in. I have really been thinking about getting into the recording/engineering side of music but have very little experience other than of course bands demo tapes. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get started and where to go. How can I get any experience/jobs doing this and what does it take to get into it. I have been looking online and there isnt really any schools in the area offering anything remotely like this that I can find (if schooling is even neccessary...)

I know that I should probably just stick it out and finish school as I only have a year left but it is really bothering me. I can't concentrate at all and end up really making myself ill just thinking about how I am wasting my time, money, and life here.

Thanks for any help that anyone here can offer.

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Check out www.aes.org (audio engineering society) they have an educational directory. One great way to just get your feet wet and see if this is really what u want to do is to get involved in the sound crew at a church. Church's usually have simple sound systems and live sound is not as demanding as recording. Most church sound programs are always looking for an extra hand. ( this is all in reference to medium to small chuches). Also since you are into computer programming u should look into digital recording, like protools. Which will probably replace all analog recording soon anyways.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Check out the AES section for your region, too. (In your case, INGL, that would be Boston.) Each section has regular meetings that are free and open to anyone interested.

If you can get down to New York October 10 through 13, visit the AES Convention at the Jacob Javits Convention Center.

Get involved. Meet people. Talk with them. Audio is still a fairly small and specialized business, so much knowledge is still passed from person to person and in small seminars rather than in formal classroom settings. The more people you meet and talk to and get to know, the better your chances of finding your way.

4. thanks for the advice guys. For now im going to try talking to a few local studios and clubs and see if I can help out in anyway to get my feet wet. I just dropped my classes for the semester so I really need to get into this pretty quickly... i figured hands on experience will be more rewarding and enjoyable than classroom experience.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Here in Finland, studio- and sound-related education is given at institutes that give education in performing arts, eg. larger pop/jazz conservatories, theater schools etc. usually have their own sound departments. Also I know some guys who have spend their Media Engineering apprenticeship at studios.

If you want to be a sound engineer as fast as possible, I'd guess that the fastest way would be spending atleast couple of years in school - it's way easier to get apprenticeship when you know how to do the stuff.

But anyways, you have just a year of school left. After that you can figure out what to do, so if I was in your shoes, I would finish the current school, perhaps work with the local soundmen at nights during that, research the options and after getting the papers head for something new.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    We have schools in the US that teach audio production, too, Tony. But I think Mike is still trying to decide what he wants to do, and I think his best bet is to talk to people about what they do and what other people do, and see what appeals to him.

Mike, are you totally turned off to computer science? That's a really big thing in audio now. Some studio internship experience might get you a cool job, a computer science degree might get you a cool job, but both together could really be a ticket into companies that do hard disk recording, DSP, and stuff like that.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't forget the shift towards total recall and automation in both audio and lighting. That's a huge growth area right now.

8. well regardless of what im doing im already out of that school and i dont plan on going back. If i find a decent school around here that has the courses i want i will probably go for that but for now i really want to get some hands on experience. I dont really mind the computer science field i just dont want to be a programmer anymore which was what i was going for. The degree probably could have done me good but its too late now.
    oh and my name is Chris not Mike.

9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Hey chris, are you willing to travel???
    I know a guy who owns a recording studio, but it's in Pomfret CT. It's not that far from RI.
    Maybe he could lead you in the right direction?

Let me know! We'll take it from there! :)

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Hey, cool, what studio is in Pomfret? (One of my old friends has a studio in Rockville.)

Chris, Berklee School of Music in Boston has a very highly regarded audio engineering program. You might want to look into it.

11. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Hokus Pokus arts. Owned by Rob Stanley.
    It's in a barn out in the middle of nowhere! Very peaceful place. It's been open for about ten years now.