1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

studio 'lectricity to blame?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doomloop, Mar 23, 2013.

1. doomloop

doomloop

Mar 1, 2011
    Portland, OR
    So I have an svt4pro that has been cutting out on me lately. No other problems with cables or pedals, no tone loss no change in lights on the amp. I took a quick look around with the top off and saw no obvious problems. Takes about an hour until it starts cutting out.

Now my guitar player starting having problems with a Laney aor 50 watt.
    The pedals sometimes have crackly in and outs with the connector cables and the big muff would lose almost all of it's volume at random times when engaged.
    Sometimes the pickup select on the guitar would also seem like it would ground out. Other times everything is fine.

Now today the amp started to cut out just like mine, no change in lights on the amp, after a short time of playing.
    We unhooked the pedals and ran straight into the amp with the same results, intermittent cutting out.
    Changed the amp with a similar tube amp...no problems.
    Checked tube connections with no change, cables, etc.

All the pedals and both amps are run from the same circuit in our studios...The amps directly to the outlets and the pedals through 8 spots supplies and a power strip.

When I bring our gear home, except for the 4 pro, I have no problems at all. The guitar is fine, the cables, connections and pedals are all clean with no cutting out at all. The amp works great straight in. The only difference being I'm not at studio volume but the gain and eq settings, etc are the same.

Could it all be caused by the power from the studio we rehearse in?

2. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
  3. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    so true.low volts plays very odd games with your gear.i gig in asia and a regulator is must have kit but any place can have dodgy lectrix.