1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Studio mics for vocals

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 14, 2011.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've got like $80 in sweetwater gift certificates, and figure I might as well get myself a mic for vocals. I know nothing about vocal mics, been using a AKG C1000 for everything I do, and thinking of buying something a little bit better. Considering a USB mic also so I can use it with my laptop.

Anyone know anything about the new Meteor mics? Would buying one of them be a downgrade from C1000? Samson Meteor Mic | Sweetwater.com

Any suggestions. Looking to spend less than $200.

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    :cool:It looks like a nice product. I would call them up and ask a few questions, etc. Sweetwater is a good place to get info without a high pressure sales pitch......Good luck .

3. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Find an AKG C414 BULS used! An amazing studio mic that absolutely shines on just about anything, vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, bass, drums/percussion...............

Best investment I made in studio gear!

4. lefty1979

lefty1979

Mar 30, 2008
    DFW, texas
    If you're thinking about a USB mike the Blue Yeti is probably the best out there. The new Yeti Pro will accept an XLR cable as well as USB. We've had the yeti for a while and are thinking about upgrading to the yeti pro. It's a very versatile high quality mic.

5. CAD and Rode mics are good bangs for the buck . . . Don't know much about USB mics, might want to check Blue too (though, fwiw, I work w/ a singer who has a blueberry and hate it . . .)

6. def a great mic - I've had one for years and have used it on everything...but even used might be a bit out of his budget . . .

7. +1

Check out Rode NT1 A

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses

Reviews on the meteor say that it was created to kinda knock the blue yeti out of the water. It has a bigger diaphragm, lower price, better construction, and legs. :)

As fer the C414, I'm lookig to use my gift certificates at Sweetwater. Not looking to buy used either as I could be sold a half functioning mic, and I'd never even know it.

9. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I have an audio technica 2050 that is $200 new and GREAT on vocals. check out an AT 2020 if you don't want to spend the extra on the 2050 (worth it, IMO). audio technica mics compete with mics at triple their cost...

10. id normally suggest an md421, but gift cards make that hard to buy used. the rode isnt so bad. i know a guy that cut a whole record on one. but as usual, you get what you pay for.

11. Ditto a 421 or especially a 414 if you can swing it, both are real workhorse studio mics that have been on millions of great records. I'm certainly a fan of spending a bit more now on something that will shine forever.

That said, audio technical and okatava make good mics for less.

Also, cheaper tried and tested mics like the nt1 will do a good job in the entry level market, though they will display typical cheap Mic characteristics such as gravely highs and odd off axis booms. A lot of this can be fixed with mods though. Check out oktavamod.com, he does other makes as well and turns cheap Chinese mics into something a bit special for not a lot, its a bit more hassle and may not be what you want but he zones in on the bad points of a cheap Mic and upgrades the componants that cause them, can't go wrong, an okatava modded cheap Mic gives a midrange contemporay a run for its money!