1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Studio monitors for a 300sqft home studio and dampening bass?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by njones89, May 6, 2019.

1. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    Hey guys, long time no post.

I am moving to a brand new duplex, which has nice squishy carpet and foam padding. Of course, one of the walls is shared with a neighbor, but the bedroom that will be my new jam room and home recording studio is separated by the hallway/stairs and a closet as well as part of a garage. So I'm thinking most of the sound will be dampened at bedroom levels for recording, but I would like to take any reasonable and affordable precautions I can to eliminate noise outside of the room and improve sound quality inside. Here's what I plan on doing... and yes, my only real concern is my bass rig. I have an electronic drumset and my guitar gear can all be attenuated.
    • Foam paneling on sidewalls with bass traps (red lines in diagram)
    • Furniture/loveseat along the bordering wall
    • Foam padding/amp stand with tennis balls on foam pad with pillow baffling
    • bass amp facing away from bordering wall as far away as possible
    What additional steps could I take? Any of these steps just a waste of time/money? I am also in the market for some studio monitors.. I am just not sure what to get for this size room, and whether a sub is necessary. What size/wattage and how many monitors?

Thanks! Untitled.png

2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Isolating a room acoustically so outside sounds don't get in and inside sounds don't get out requires drywall and airspace. You need a second wall and an inch or two of airspace between the inner and outer walls of the room. You are talking about acoustic treatment which will alter the sound inside of the room but will not prevent it from leaving the room or prevent outside sounds from coming in.

This article covers is fairly well.
    How to Soundproof: Acoustic Foam Does Not Block Sound | Acoustical Solutions

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    AGCurry likes this.
  3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    As for monitors, check out the Focal Alpha 50 or 65. Great speakers, very detailed. I would never recommend mixing with a sub. Perhaps as a second set of speakers, but never as the only set of speakers.

willsellout likes this.
  4. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    Thanks! I didn't mean to mix only with a sub... just wondered if I needed one in addition to two+ monitors.

And I likes this.
  5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    right, i meant i would not recommend mixing primarily on a speaker system with a subwoofer. you would be surprised, i have a pair of focal alpha 50s and they go LOW.

njones89 likes this.
  6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This. This a thousand times.

In a duplex, even a modern one, drums will drive your adjoining neighbor crazy. Possibly even non-adjoining neighbors in houses nearby. In these situations I suggest either going all-in with isolation (assuming you own the building, have the budget, and have the experience or a good builder to hire), or not doing any of it and simply mitigating things socially if possible. Talk to your neighbors, establish times they're okay with you playing at high volumes (virtually any time the drums are involved), protocols for contacting you before the call the cops, etc. People are generally pretty understanding, but they're also pretty averse to loud noises when they're not the ones generating them.

DirtDog, guts and And I like this.