Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Studio Monitors

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lisa Weiss, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Okay, I didn't know if this belonged here, or in Recording, so I took a stab! :D

Can anyone tell me the difference in Active and Passive monitors? Is it just that Active is powered?

Thanks!

Lisa

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Exactly! :)

3. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Yes, active monitors are powered. That is the only difference.

4. Cool! Thanks for the quick reply oddentity!

Now, does having powered monitors make a big difference? I noticed there's a serious price difference between Active and Passive, so is the price difference worth it?

Lisa

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Well, I guess it depends on your needs. Also, consider that you will need to buy a power amp for passive monitors, so the cost difference might not be all that great (unless you already own a power amp).

If you go passive w/power amp, you will have a flexible setup if you ever want to swap out components in the future. If you go with actives, you're buying a built-in power amp that is tailored to the features of the monitor (and many powered monitors are biamped- separate amps for low and high frequencies).

My band uses passive Event 20/20s with a Samson power amp. I have heard the Event 20/20bas (powered, biamped) and they sounded very similar, but I wasn't using the same reference material so I can't say for sure...

I've also tested the Tannoy Reveal actives and passives side by side at Sam Ash. To me, there was something more powerful and tight about the actives.

6. Wow! Thanks for the info! We had monitors on loan from a friend, but he picked them up last week, so I've got to start looking around for some replacements. I appreciate the help.

Lisa

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    oddentity is right:

The activeTannoy Reveals sound much better than their passive counterparts.

Most people I know (would) choose active monitors, but it's a professional price attached.

8. Thanks JMX! We actually had powered ones origianlly, so I've never actually been exposed to Passive. I'm most likely going to the Actives, but will just have a wait a couple of more weeks to get some.

Lisa