Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Studio Musician pros/cons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I think it would be the perfect situation, that is to do something you love to do "play bass" for a living, but is there a down side to this? woring as a studio musician?? For those of you here who have done this, could you share your experience, I hole this is the right forume for this, if not, I repent;)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It'd do better in misc.

recordings is more about actual recordings, whereas miscellaneous is a general purpose forum that deals with music related things that don't necessarily fit anywhere else.

As for Pros and Cons.

in my opinion:

Pros-
    ~somewhat secure/steady job(paycheck)
    ~Chance to play with a wide variety of players, playing a wide variety of music
    ~the ability to say "hey I played on this" at the supermarket :D

Cons-
    ~many studio musicians, become so accustomed to doing exactly what the studio wants, that their playing outside the studio becomes dry and uninspired(not a constant, but certainly a trend)
    ~though it is more secure than say, super-stardom, you still have to work, and work hard
    ~If you mess up, you won't get called back.

Know that I have only done a couple of sessions, and I'm young, I have known quite a few studio players, and studied with a fair share as well, all of them have really nice cars.

3. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Thanks! can you tell me how to move it to the correct forum and I will take care of it. BTW, when you say "if you mess up you will not get called back" does this mean that you only have one chane to get it right, or do you get to go over stuff a bit before they find out if you stink:meh: If it turns out that they consider you a stink ball, are you black balled from that point on in the industry?:eek:

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I already moved it for you ;)

(members can't move their threads, only mods can)

about not getting called back, that's an exaggeration, but certainly, if you make a bad impression in one place, or do a really crummy job, studio cats aren't going to bother with hiring you again when there are thousands of others out there looking for the gig.

being a studio musician is about perfection, I think. you have to be able to play exactly what is asked of you quick and efficiently, time is money, the faster the session goes the less they have to pay the musicians, and the happier they are.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It's a completely different animal than playing in a band. The skill sets you will need to develop are also completely different.

You will need to be technically proficient enough to nail as much as you can on one take. In the studio, time=money, so the guy who can get it done most quickly is the guy they will want.

Sight-reading is not optional, it is a necessity in probably 95% of studio work. Again, this comes down to the time issue - and if people have to SHOW you your part, that takes time.

If you enjoy playing busy or flashy parts, forget it. Producers don't care how many slap licks or Jaco solos you can play - more important is whether you can hold a groove, keep time, and play a line that is interesting yet doesn't step on toes. In a band situation, you have all the time you need to perfect it. In the studio, you might have a few minutes.

Additionally, you will occasionally have to play music you hate with people that you want to throttle.

As far as working as a studio musician, I wouldn't consider it an easy career, even if you live in a big city. If you get to be a bigbigbig name player, you can get rich, but it'd probably take a LOOOOONNG time to get a first-call rep.

Every studio musician that I've known (not counting those on TB) supplemented their income by teaching, side projects and similar work.

6. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    "Additionally, you will occasionally have to play music you hate with people that you want to throttle"

thats interesting! I just wonder how you would play live something you hate with people you want to throttle, how you would make it seem like you enjoy what you are playing, for the sake of the audience:meh:

or maybe the studio cats are not always the ones who go on the road to play live

:meh: