1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Studio Noob - Help Mixing Bass(es)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jan 11, 2012.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I just started recording (USB interface, some cables, SM57, and Sonar). I've had a good time sketching out ideas a little and want to learn more about mixing and making stuff sound cool as I go along too.

This clip/loop was recorded DI and is pretty much untouched... maybe the tiniest bit of panning. How can I make things a little clearer (hard with 2 basses) and more 3D/atmospheric? Are there imporant/standard things I should do on the front end of engineering/mixing when it comes to bass?

Thundar - 13/8 Tapping Rough (loop) by dr_thunda on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Neat clip. Not sure exactly what sound you're aiming for in the end, but off the top of my head I'd say:

1. I wouldn't mic if I could help it. I go direct, but not direct from my bass; direct from my pedal board where I add not only effects but a bit of dirt and even some amp/cab modeling via my SansAmp BDDI. If you go direct from your bass, might want to add some of that kind of stuff at the mixing desk lest things sound weak or sterile.

2. You'll probably want to use a compressor to even out the quiet and loud notes/techniques in this piece. Compression is a fundamental aspect of how most bass tracks are recorded these days. Probably even in a tapping solo piece such as this one.

3. You're getting a pretty decent tone, but I'd like to hear a bit more bottom end. Just a bit. Warm it up a little.

I have no idea how to make things "3D" or "atmospheric." Perhaps someone else has ideas on that... A bit of chorus? No clue.