Studio Preamps used as Mic Preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hey Folks,
    Hopefully I'm getting a lighter rig thrown together soon ( I love my d-180 but oi is it heavy for 200 watts!) and I've been tossing around the idea of using a studio pre as my preamp rather than a usual demeter, aguilar, eden, etc. preamp.

So, I suppose my question is this: has anyone used one for any length of time? If so, how do you like it? I really like the clean tone of the iAMP series, but i wanted a more modular setup.
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It will certainly work and it should sound fine. I know one guy who uses a Mindprint studio preamp for a bass rig and he likes it.

My concern is the toughness of the unit. I've heard stories that don't necessarily build any ruggedness into them because most people buy them then whack em in a permanent rack. Gigging and touring are a completely different kettle of fish.

I'd be putting it in a floating rack case with some sort of shock protection, just in case it takes a knock. Then again, I cart all my sensitive gear around like that, especially stuff with lots of solder joints.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if i had my way, i'd gig with a Tube Tech mic pre, but alas, dont have $3G's to burn. :(

but i'm more than happy with my Avalon U5, as the main pre.
  4. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I used an Avalon U5 for a while, now using a Focusrite Platinum Trakmaster and really like it. I keep it in a padded rack bag with a Stewart World 1.2. Makes for a great 34 lb head.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I don't know that this falls under the guise of 'studio' pre-amp, but I'm using an ART Tube Channel. Very clear / transparent sounding pre. Nice flexibility with insert points between the Pre & Compressor and the Compressor & EQ. Musical rather than surgical sounding EQ and Compressor. I'm a bit of a compressor snob and the one in the ART is impressive.

These guys seem to run in the $175 - $200 range on Ebay. I overpaid a bit at $225. The pre itself sounds really good though and a decent bass pre for $225, well I can't complain. Very good sounding pre for low-dough.
  6. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Joker, I owe you an update.

Last night was the first time I used my U5 at rehearsal. Man oh man. My tone has come alive like never before. It's simplicity at it's finest. My signal chain is Smith 6->Avalon->PV DPC 1400 -> Pair of Epi 112's. The best sound comes from EQ curve 2 with my bass in passive. It's is simply beautiful. I was thinking about using the SF2 post U5, but I don't need it. The SF2 actually detracts from what the U5 brings to the table. I have a Furman PQ3 on the way that I was gonna try, but you'll see it up for sale here as soon as I get it because I am literlly in tonal bliss. The SF2 is already up for sale.

Next objective: Stupidly expensive cables!!
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sweet!!! must be mucho nice with the Epi cabs, too. :cool: got a pic? ;)

btw, i've been using a 3ft. Mogami XLR to my Stewart, and it sounds great. got it from MF, but i know GC's a Mogami dealer, too.
  8. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I used a Behringer T1953 tube mic preamp for about 2 years. Great, cheap $$ piece of gear; made whatever singnal was passed through it very warm and alive and full sounding. :bassist:
  9. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Mario, I have a pair of Epifani T-112s, thats expensive enough for me!

What I like about the Focusrite is the sound is just as big and open as the U5, plus it gives me more tone control. The U5 is a class act, though, Class A, in fact.
  10. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    I keep a JoeMeek VC1Qcs in my rack between the SWR 'Stella (or Trace Elliot V-Type pre) and the SWR Power 750. Normally, it gets used just for compression.

But sometimes, I plug straight into the JoeMeek and use it as a preamp. It's got a nice preamp section, a kick-ass optical compressor, and low-shelving/mid para/high shelving eq section, plus an enhancer/de-esser section.

As a preamp, it's awesome. Between the three units, I can get a very wide range of sounds.