Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Studio quality bass amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ton, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Ton

Ton

Mar 30, 2005
    I always thought my (Ashdown MAG) amplifier sounded great.
    Till I played in a small studio with Genelec 3031 nearfield
    From my amp's DI a cable went to a digital mixing console en then straight to the two monitors. The sound was much warmer than my bass-amp produces.
    Of coarse, the power of those Genelecs is something else but the bass sound quality is spectacular.
    Does anybody has an explanation for that?

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    couple of things to consider... What mixing console? Some digital mixers have great AD/DA converters and Awesome channel strips. I certain the genelec probably costs more than your amp. High quality speaker with high qualtiy components make a HUGE difference

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Welcome to the wonderful world of HiFi bass gear :D If you decide to try to reproduce that great studio sound in a live setting, all you need is a lot of money and time to try out various components. You just need a really high quality pre, super powerful super clean power amp, and a large array of inefficient (but true) speakers, and away you go!

Most of us end up somewhere short of that kind of tone for our live rigs, but its something to shoot for.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I get hi-fi tone from my rig at very high volumes and from a compact package at that. Doing so only took 30 years of research into loudspeaker design and about a hundred speaker cabinets built before I got it right, and I'm still trying to make something even better.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what happened to you is EXACTLY what happened to me after hearing my Sadowsky thru a pair of Genelec's and Mackie monitors.

literally turned me out.

the reason why for a long while i gigged with an Avalon U5 / Stewart World 1.2 w/ an Acme B-4 cab.

6. Ton

Ton

Mar 30, 2005
    :confused:
    But where should I think about? What kind of equipment does the (expensive) live "hifi" job for me?

7. Ton

Ton

Mar 30, 2005
    My Asdown amp's D.I. was connected to a Yamaha AW4416 digital mixing console wich was connected to two Genelecs 3031 and results really in an amazing bass-sound!
    Those active genelecs only gives 120W power but I was almost thinking of asking Genelec to build a bass amp of these components.
    I think a big benifit of those active monitors is that the amp is fully adjusted to the speakers.
    I still do not understand why there is nothing like that for live performances... It seems that they only offer a lot of Watts but no sound-quality!

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bill, I'm a bass player living in southern New Hampshire. We REALLY need to meet. I just checked out your website. Email sent.

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Likewise. I've yet to hear any bass cabs that get that 'studio monitor tone' as well as Acmes do. I'm using an SWR Grand Prix with NOS 5751 which adds a touch of valve colour to my very clean QSC PLX3200 into two Acme Low-B2 cabs rig.

Alex

10. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Take a look at Acme and Accugroove, they're a good place to start.

11. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
  12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Can I just ask. If i get this Basis M-2000, i've heard that the DI is really noisy when recording (And has no ground lift). Is there anyway to get around this? Could i go through a DI box and still get the tone from the amp, uncoloured by the DI? What would be a good box to get?

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In a good studio, the control room has been treated acoustically (unlike your local sports bar).

Nearfield monitors are designed to NOT interact with the room (if you sit close enough to the speakers you are hearing mostly the direct sound and little of reflections off other surfaces). They are typically designed to be as flat in repsonse as possible (no overhyped low mids masquerading as bass) and be able to reveal a lot of detail in the sound (obviously Genelecs which cost $$$ are going to be better than Behringers in this regard).

That's why I always DI in the studio. I have NEVER plugged into an amp when recording.

The BIG problem is those controlled conditions can't be reproduced on gigs.

As far as getting that "studio monitor" sound live, start with the speaker cabinet. Don't even think about preamps, power amps, etc. until you have found the right speaker.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a home studio, and I used Genelic 1029's (w/ matching subwoofer) for my monitors (and for my main computer speakers - which is nice!). I really to like the sound of Genelecs, and I have used their larger models in other studios.

As far as getting that sound out of a bass rig, cab-wise, I would tend to think of EA, ACME and Accugroove as being the most "studio accurate." Ampwise, the iAMP 800 is my most "accurate" head, though I could certainly see recording with my Walter Woods, or even Walkabout. I have recorded my basses in a variety of ways, and sometimes just a good mic preamp can work wonderfully, if you like the sound of your instrument itself.

A nice rack rig can also help get something close to the "studio accurate" sound in a live setting, but again, the speakers will have much to do with it. There are tons of variables in a live setting, and it's tough to get really accurate sound, but with some of the gear I have mentioned, you can get surprisingly close. Whether or not it "works" in a live setting may be another issue. In my experience, sometimes that's what I want (an uncolored, accurate tone), and sometimes I want some intentional "coloration" to help me fit into the mix a bit better, or cut through a bit better, or whatever.

Tom.

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Unlimited budget? Meyer Sound. They are even mostly active speakers like those monitors.

Down here on earth you can look at EA and Acme for speakers. There are lots of nice power amps around, just make sure you've got lots of extra headroom so you can stay clean at high current, and for preamps look at Avalon, Demeter, old Neve channels ... lots of preamp options really.

Also in the studio, theres a good chance you were running through a killer tube compressor.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok all you gear heads out there. I just got back from trying a Millennia TD-1. It was the sound that's been in my head for years. It made my Glockenklang sound like a toy, for real. Glock's now for sale! :eek: :D Tom........if you get one of these and put it through one of your poweramps you'll never touch another amp again. That's the truth.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The TD-1 does look pretty darn sweet, and everyone I talk to raves about it.

18. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I am using a Millennia TD-1 and a Millennia STT-1,along with Meyer Sound powered speaker cabinets and my live sound has never been better!!! Very true,studio sounding quality,at very LOUD volume!!!