Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Studio Rack FX Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazzercountry, Jun 3, 2005.

1. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Howdy,

I've been cruising the archives, and hitting the search function pretty hard, but it looks like I'll have to fire up a new thread.

I'm building a studio rack (Aguilar DB680 and Avalon U5) and I need a single rack space effects unit to put in the loop of the Aguilar to cover "typical" bass effects (filter, octave, chorus/flange, synth). I know I'll have to spend some bucks to get something quiet, and that is definitely a priority (this being a studio rack - I'll probably never use FX seriously live). So what am I looking at? High end TC Electronic (G Force, FireworX), Lexicon (MPX G2 or 550), Boss VF-1 (I've heard it's a tad noisy). Really, I'm pretty open to suggestion.

Thanks much, you guys.

Ryan

2. Strangely enough, it's pretty rare to find quality filters and synths in a rack multi-effect. I've owned the VF-1, and it is chock-full of oddball effects, but as you said, it can be noisy. You'll definitely want to check the specs thoroughly to see if all the effects you're looking for are actually in a particular box. I'm thinking the Lexicon doesn't really have a workable synth, but the ambient effects (chorus, reverb, etc.) are some of the best.

At the moment, I own a Bass PODxt Pro (rackmount amp/cab/effects modeler) and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality and diversity of the effects. There's a Mutron model, which sounds better than both my Q-tron and EBS BassIQ pedals, and a Line 6-developed filter called a 'DingoTron'.

The Synth section is also far and away the most thorough of any multi-effects box I've used. From what I recall, there's 8 or 9 different Synth models, each with 8 voices, and decay/resonance/and other parameters that can be tweaked. Tracking is great (although it IS digital, so you'd need to see if it's up to your standards).

The best thing I like about it is the models for the effects actually sound like the effects. I love my MXR Phase 90 pedal...and the Line 6 model is exactly like it.

If you're concerned with the amp and cab modeling and not needing it, you can take out all the amp and cab settings and just use it as a clean effects unit. I've used it as a preamp and as an effects unit in the loop of my Mesa 400+.

Hope this helps.