Studio recording help

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bass_player16, May 11, 2005.

1. Hey all. The band I am currently in is planning on recording sometime in the near future after we get some more songs written. I was kinda hoping some people on here could give me some tips about things I should do or not do, that kind of stuff. Oh and the guy who owns the studio has everything there, amps, drums, all we have to do is bring our guitars and basses and sticks and away we go. I'm not yet sure what kind of stuff he has there, my dad is being to stubborn and wont find out the guys email or phone so I can't ask.

But any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks everyone
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    - Know the material inside and out. Know how many choruses, how many verses, when the bridge comes. Know the material like you could write a chart for it without any hesitation. Know the material.

- Bring extra. Extra strings, batteries, sticks, guitars, straps, gum. That trusting whatever that you use that has never let you down, ever, will let you down. Be prepared.

- Come in well rested. However long you think something will take, triple it. It will take at least 3 times as long to do anything. "Oh, we're just doing it all live, one or two takes. It should take an hour or so." Okay, triple that. It will take much longer than you think it will.

- Stay positive. Don't get frustrated. Understand that the work is worth it.

- If you feel the need, bring a snack, cause it will take longer than you think it will.

- Know the material, inside and out.

- Play practical jokes on the drummer.

- Know the material.