1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Studio Recording of Enormous Room?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by climb, Sep 9, 2008.

1. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Michael,

I've been watching the Youtube video of you in somebody's house playing Enormous Room repeatedly; I've probably listened to it close to 100 times by now.

Is there a studio recording of this beautiful song?

btw, here's the YouTube link, in case you haven't seen this. It is truly extraordinary:

Thanks!

2. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    It's on Michael's album Thonk which is out of print but you can get it on Amazon if you're lucky.

3. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Amazing song.

4. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I believe the version on Thonk is recorded live--was wondering if there's a full studio recording.

5. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    It says "live" to indicate that there are no overdubs or loops.

6. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks--that's really helpful!

How does the Thonk version compare to the version in the living room?

7. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Oh whoops! I didn't know you had responded! To answer your question, it's quite similar- the recording on Thonk sounds a little cleaner and there's a little less noodling and improvisation since it's in the studio (Also, Michael looks at the recordings on his albums as starting points rather than definitive versions.) Thonk is a must-have record if you can get your hands on it!

And while you're at it, check out Project M. It's a CD by a bass quartet that Michael is in that was just released this summer. Don't worry, it's nothing like SMV- there are compositions and arrangements and there's musicality and stuff. Not that I don't love those three guys, that record just isn't a very good representation of their talents.