Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Studio Story.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As most of you know, my band, El Pus, is working on its debut CD for Virgin, Anyhoo, I go into the studio and producer Darryl Swann goes, "Woody, what kind of treats didja bring me?" I told him that I brought four 4 string basses, and he said, "Wake 'em up!" After I play each bass for about 45 seconds, he tells me to play bass # 3 again. After about 30 seconds, he says, "That's it! That's the one!" So I did all 3 songs with bass # 3. After listening to the playback, I was like, "Wow! That's a sweet tone!" I was shocked. I won't mention the other basses, because it's not important, I just wanted to sing the praises of bass # 3.

Oh yeah, bass # 3 was the Essex 62 Jazz copy! Stock! :eek:

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    HAAAA!

Now I've GOT to get one of those jazzes.

I'm liking my Essex BG 205, and was thinking the pups sounded pretty decent now that the cavity is shielded. I originally was going to upgrade w/ Barts but now I might just get a preamp, or leave it alone.
    :eek:

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Screw Warwick. You could be the first Essex endorser.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    :)
    Your other basses are listed in your profile, which piggie stayed home?:D

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Wow!

If I lived in USA I´d order an Essex right on the spot! :)

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Keep in mind, it was recorded with a miked amp.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Whoa, who would have thought?

;)

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, a miked Crate amp.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    LOL!! :D
    So it was YOU who planted the Crate!

10. :)

are you still endorsing Warwick? if so , they're not going to be pleased about this:D

I'm a bit sceptical about some people's tendency to automatically upgrade circuitry after buying a new bass. (if it ain't broke...)

I suspect that studio engineers prefer players not to use "boutique basses" with active electronics as they prefer recording basses with tones they're used to, and won't have to sit there at the desk EQ'ing them for hours.

some of the interviews Jason Newsted have done are pretty funny, as even with all the expensive Sadowskys, Spectors etc. he has, he says "if I had to pick one workable bass in the studio it'd be the P bass".
    albeit the P bass in question is a vintage 58' P, but I'd dare to say that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between that and a well-made copy P bass with a decent pickup in the mix.

Essex should start exporting basses to the UK - I'd love to try a BG80 maple-neck P (21 frets, which gives it a slight edge over the Squiers).

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Most engineers and producers I've worked with HATE all boutique basses, with the exception of one: the Streamer Stage 2. I guess afzelia records well. I don't think Warwick will have a problem with it, besides, the producer wants what he wants. I had a say in it, but I couldn't deny that the Essex sounded pretty sweet.

12. Hey boys, Rondo DOES export Essex's to the UK and other parts of Europe (I think). Go to the website and poke around. I found the page when I was there earlier in the week. It had some addresses but I wasn't paying attention

13. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    Kinda like my previoulsy posted story of how my Producer was Hooked on Music Man's. I ordered one Cause all he had was a 4 string. It never came So I bought a Warwick Thumb. First night he Loved it. Next day he was doing a temp mixdown for playback and he decided that he wanted me to order the Musicman. By then I loved the Warwick and I pleaded with him that we'd try differn't miking techniques. We finally Got it with A Mesa 2 15" Cab w/ Senn 421 Mic and a Trace Elliot 1 10" cab :eek: W/ an Old AKG D12 and another 421. Now he wants one! :D
    Some Producers only want one bass cause that's all Know. It's not bad, Bass is just cranky.

14. HA! This is great. I'm loving every second of having an Essex. I better order the SJB-62 Jazz copy from them soon. I already got the BG150 of course. This is too ironic that such an affordable bass could be preferred in the studio.

15. Geez, aren't you guys in some sort of "union" now? I would've thought that some of that crappy value added tax could be eliminated by purchasing from an EU member. Maybe not - I'm just thinking out loud here - my international commerce skills just aren't what they should be :)

Sorry for the hijack Woodrow - just trying to get the manna to the masses - so to speak!

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i'm thinking about getting an essex P to back me up so i can sell my musicman and get a warwick fretless :) how are the pickups? i want old-schooly thump (i'll be using the loosest flats i can find)

i must say tho - the guy who did our mixing on the PP cd has mixed a LOT of cd's, and he says my SS2 and Thumb recorded DI sounded better than any other bass he's ever had to work with. didn't touch them EQ wise, just added a little compression and IMNSHO the bass sounds just fine :)

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man.. i've been thinking about grabbing a cheap 4-string to back up my Elrick... I may look into an essex.. and If i don't like it.. well they ain't expensive.. and neither are upgrades

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Smash: You got it. I too, am tired of recording. We were doing 14 hour days! :mad: :eek:
    I don't want to give the impression that my Essex is better than the other basses, but every bass has it's situation. I was going to hot rod it, but I'll change the p'ups and nut, and leave it be.