Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Studio time - help needed with my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mara, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Hi guys,

My band is heading to the studio this weekend to record a couple of new songs and I was wondering if anyone could give any tips considering recording the bass. This is my first time in a real studio but I've done smaller scale stuff before.

My rig is: Esh Various V (ADGCF), Peavey MAX, Phonic XP2000 (bridged / 1980W @ 4ohms) and a TVX412.

I'm wondering if I should use the MAX's DI out or mic the cab? I intend to use a the MAX's tube channel with some overdrive, but the thing with my rig is that I need to drive the system really quite loud before I get the growl I like. I understand the the cab is a major factor when producing an overdrive sound, so is it at all possible to get that sweet growl when using the DI out from the MAX? Is there an stompbox or a processor or something that would help me getting this warm but punchy growl?

The DI out / cab dilemma aside, is there a specific stompbox you'd recommend that I should have with me in the studio (aside my TU-2)? Limiter? Compressor? EQ?

:confused:

Thanks a bunch!

Mara

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    What I definitely prefer is a subtle combination of D.I. + miked amp.

I wouldn't take a 2000 W amp to any studio, though.

3. phairphunk

phairphunk

Jun 19, 2000
    Yeah, what he said. As a student of sound recording, I like to do a mix of the two, though I don't like DIing out of the amp - I prefer putting it in the signal chain before the amp (if you have one that lets you run through it). Any idea on what mic you plan on using?

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Believe me.......the engineer is going to have alot of say in what you use.......unless you have unlimited time.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Mic the speakers,
    DI from the pre,
    run direct to the board,

If you've got the tracks...use 'em.
    For the most part, I used the direct to board tracks 90% of the time.

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What he said;)

I have spent days getting KILLING bass tones in home studios (some of them very well equiped)

I have had great results from mixing and matching

1) Direct ,punchy articulate most of your final will come from this

2) Miked cab ,breath ,organic quality

3) Grindy slightly distorted tone (from emulator or miked cab) used for pressance/a little cut

4) Mike the acctual bass over the fingeroard exspesially on a slapped part

The way I would do this is to

1) bass to Nice DI

2) DI spit to b15R AND BOARD (mike amp)

3)Amp out to sansamp

4)sansamp to board

5)Mike your bass with a nice small diaphram condensor over the 12 th fret

6) Isolate the amp

7) Isolate your self

play something while enginear moves mic compared to amp .

Person in control booth tells engineer when phase canalation has been achieved between amp a direct signal. Reverse the phsae switch. Reapeat with mikeing of bass.

One cool trick when combining signal like this is phase problem can be a issue. Use a unit with a pahse reverse swich use it. then while you play move the microphones and adgust delay to achieve phase canselation between direct and miked signals. then pop the phase reverser back to normal and voila! FAT!

AJ

7. Yeah, what he said. You may not have a great deal of say in the matter.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    This is a good thing. Listen to the engineer. It's your first time so you should work with the guy who knows more.

When I go to the studio, they always DI and Mic the amp too.