studio virgin...need help!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tdogg, Mar 14, 2001.

1. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i am going into the studio with my band next week
    and i have no idea what i should use. my stage set up
    is a carvin r1000 bi-amped with my effects(flanger and wah)
    going through the high-end pre-amp loop and i run clean through the low end. the producer is doing us a favor for the studio time so we have to do a live DAT recording and the space is small and bleeding mic's is a concern.....will i sound good going direct? any advise?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd recommend going direct, since studio time is an issue. Just make sure to use a good D.I. for recording, an active DI usually is better than a passive one. The DI Outs on most amps don't work that well, so make sure they have some good DI units handy.
    A good idea would be to record the bass parts dry and to add the effects later, perhaps using the studio's high-end(?) FX.
    But that depends on the bass line and the effect you're using.
  3. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I agree. Go direct with a DI. Most important is to not let the engineer and your other bandmates to let them squash the bass in the mix. I have found that when they play back the recorded songs on the monitors they always have the bass too low and when I say the bass needs to come up everyone says that the bass gets bigger on smaller speakers. In reality the bass get reduced with each stage, so if it sounds weak at any point, fight for more cuz you'll be sorry if you dont.
  4. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    well i did the recording and it sounds great.......i went direct and our engineers loved what i gave them. when we listened to the final product on the stereo my bass lines were shaking the plates in the kitchen! i couldnt have asked for much more......other than a nicer bass....but o well
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Another vote for direct, if you will be wearing out your welcome by going direct and miked. Although, miked and direct is my preferred method, I only do it when someone else is picking up the tab.

In my experience, and those of a few others I've heard, the Carvin R series heads as DI's are too hot for some studios, so always have a Plan B if you are counting on it.

When/if you get some time down the road, one thing that can sound very good is miking your bass, totally unplugged. It's a hit or miss propostition, depending on the studio's equipment, (e.g., megabuck mikes), and your bass.
  6. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Same here. In the situations I've been in, direct (direct + mike if time/money permits) and dry is the rule. You can always add fx later (usually the studio fx is better than what I have anyway), but you can't fix a noisy flanger or chorus once it's on tape.
  7. bootyquake

Mar 29, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Hey, I reading some great advice in here. Looks like folks have been spending some time with the earphones on.

Their advice for gear is right on--go direct with a bass-- but make sure it has fresh strings. Make sure your instrument is in top condition--no fret buzz, good intonation, clean pots and electronics, fresh batteries if applicable. Bring a backup if you can. Nothing will cause band tension like being the one guy whose gear problems are costing the band $35/hour.

The producer/engineer should help you get all the logistics worked out. He should know where to put the musicians, microphones, and cabinets. Your job is to make sure your band sounds its best. Remember to eat well, but not too heavy, before going into the studio. The fatigue is incredible, so nutrition is really important. Get plenty of sleep the night before--no power drinking. This may seem trivial now, but try it. Working on quality music while you're tired and hungry is impossible. It will start fights and result in lower quality music to tape.

Overall, relax and enjoy the process. You may find, as I did, that it is addictive.
  8. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    My favorite method for recording bass guitar is to use a high-end bass preamp (Aguilar, Evil Twin, Avalon, etc) with a line level output that can go directly to 2" tape (bypassing the console) in addition to miking the bass cabinet, which also uses a high end mic and mic preamp. As an option, one can throw a nice tube compressor in the signal chain ( such as a tube tech) before the tape to even things out. Also, don't forget to slightly delay the direct signal so it lines up exactly with the miked signal--(the engineer should know how many milliseconds are appropriate for the miking distance used.)

If you or the studio doesn't own the right gear, rent it .
    This is what I ask for provided the drummer doesn't take up too many tracks.