Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Studio wages

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tsolo, Nov 18, 2002.

1. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I need an answer to this post before Friday morning Nov. 22, 2002. I'm going into a studio this weekend to cut 10 to 12 bluegrass tunes. I don't have a clue what to charge. I know what it costs for studio time, what it costs to license a sound track for a song, and i know what it costs per song to put it on a CD (i'm working on a gospel trio CD) but I don't have a clue what to charge for my playing time. They plan to have 8 hrs of recording time and 8 hours of mix time. I'm not union - but neither are any of 'them'. It's a family deal but me and another player are 'outsider' parts of the band. They first suggested that as the CDs are sold and the cost is recouped, then we'd share in the profits. I was OK by that. I intend to be around for a while and i think they play on me being around for a while. We get along great. Then they wanted a price. I don't have a problem with this either but don't know what to charger. This is my first CD with them. They have had several. HELP!

2. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    BTW they are giving me a ride (no transportation costs), paying for hotel room. Its from Friday until late Sunday night. I forget to ask about meals. They can pay them too.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I get a minimum of $50/hour or track, and it usually works out to be the same on most projects. And it's not a hard and fast rule; I'll make more if it's an established artist, and less if it's a friend or if I can swap out for studio time or other services. On trips off island ("road trips"?), I get all expenses paid plus $50/day for food.

4. back in the day when I did sessions I used to get $100/8-hour session. That was about 15 years ago.

5. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Thanks for the help gents. I thought about all your suggestions. Thanks Ed - you helped put in perspective. We negotiated pay that was agreeable to all and i must say, I didn't do too bad for a first time studio gig.:p

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you said it was a family deal?

by chance are they under contract with a record label? (this is crucial) dependant on which label (if any) and what State you are in, whether you are an AFM member or not, you may be covered under the SRLA. this means, pension, health & welfare, and five-year special payments.

give me some info...

7. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I've been thinking about this thread and I think I'll drop it. I had some other interesting thoughts. Bye, bye.