1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Study Abroad?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Sep 30, 2010.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I'm thinking about doing it in order to get a few credit hours that I need, but more importantly I want to do it for the experience. I'd love to see what it's like to live in another country, and I really want to have the chance to learn about another countries cultures, customs, and beers (most importantly, of course ;)).

Has anyone here done a study abroad program before? Any advice or thoughts on this are definitely welcomed.

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Our eldest daughter graduated last spring from university in Vancouver. She did a year abroad, partially in Norway and the other semester was split between Uganda and Tanzania. She loved it. Had a fabulous experience.

Living abroad is a very rich experience. Highly recommend it.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I tend to prefer red heads myself.

4. i study them too, they don't like when you call them broads though.:meh:

5. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Not quite what I was looking for you two :p

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Travelling abroad can be a great asset, because you're being plunged into a culture that is far from your own (in most cases).

Another thing to keep in mind, though, is that America is not only a country, but a continent. You can learn a lot by travelling across it--I found a lot of the differences between the regions I've visited to be absolutely mind blowing.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    In the fall of 1987, I did Antioch's Buddhist Studies Program in Bodh Gaya, India. It was one of the most worthwhile experiences of my life on many levels, and I strongly recommend studying abroad.

To maximize the cross-cultural experience, try Asia, South America, of Africa. Several universities in the former English colonies in Asia and Africa will have courses taught in English, as do some universities in China that want to attract foreign students. I'm an Assistant Dean of Students at a university here, and we've sent a couple of students on exchange to Chongqing, China, and they've had wonderful experiences, with all their courses taught in English.

8. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    A lot of times studying abroad will cost as much if not cheaper than what you would pay for tuition/housing/food where you are living now. After I graduated high school I spent 4 months in barcelona. While that was not a cheap city to live in, it was an incredible experience. I love that city. My brother spent a semester in Ecuador, which he also found to be an incredibly enriching experience. His trip ended up being cheaper than what he would have paid studying at U of I.

9. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    A buddy took an evolution class in London and loved it. Another one went to Japan and his trip wasn't so good. I guess it really depends on the class/place/professor/you.

10. I have had several friends do a year overseas and none of them regret it. My girlfriend did her entire studies in Australia and she loved it. I have no plans on studying abroad, but I have done lots of traveling and it has greatly increased my perspective on life.

lowsound

11. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I've done that one already, and honestly the only difference I really cared about between regions was whether or not they had sweet tea :p

12. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    Go study in Finland. Helsinki University is a pretty good school, and Finland has a very interesting culture. Though I'm not sure if it applies to an exchange student, all tuition in Finland is free, so if you're studying at a school, you only need to pay non-tuition costs like housing, food, and books. Helsinki's not the cheapest place to live though. There's a few other universities that I'm not too familiar with, but it'd be worth reading about them. They're in smaller cities and might be more interesting than the capitol. You won't find another country as fun as Finland (though I'm a bit biased, :smug:).
    There's lots of beer in Finland too, though it's nothing special. Have some coffee there though. Finnish people love coffee and will offer it to you at all times of the day.

13. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I did it. 12 years later, I'm still here :D

14. flypejose

flypejose

Sep 2, 2009
    Maryland
    Completed my undergraduate studies in Brussels the capital city of Belgium and the European Union. Incredible eye-opening experience! Being immersed in another cultural framework helps you realize a lot of stuff about yourself and your own cultural background. 1st time in an almost totally secularized and individualistic society.

Then came to pursue my graduate studies here in the US. Another story! The system here seems to require that you prove yourself a bit more (don't know if I convey they idea correctly).
    Traveling is always good in one way or the other.

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My sister did an undergrad junior year abroad in Salamanca, Spain. We had to pry her out of there with a crowbar. I did a year of dissertation research in Munich, and it was the most fantastic experience. I'm frankly in favor of the old view that your education is not really complete until you have lived abroad. It helps you see the world through different eyes. Coursework you do abroad is of secondary importance -- it's the people you meet and the new perspectives you pick up that count.