Study Tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PunkerTrav, Apr 24, 2005.

1. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I know many of us TBers are either in school now or have already graduated, so I bet there will be a good amount of advice to be thrown around.
    I'm half way through my final week of exams and am slowly understanding that I'm not getting the results I was hoping for. Now, I'm not looking for an easy way out. Any lack of success is not due to a lack of effort. I've worked hard all semester and studied hard. My problem isn't the effort. I have pretty much come to the conclusion I need to work smarter.
    Here's my question to you...

Any advice would be muy excellente.
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I don't know what exactly you're studying, but I find, especially when I'm dealing with math or economics or something else involving formulas, to write the formulas down as I study them until I have them memorized and I'm used to writing them on an almost subconcious level.

If it's mainly things based on readings, find the thesis of the piece and write it in one sentence. Then make bullet points of the pieces of evidence he uses to support that thesis. It's a nice short, concise summary of the paper that's easy to study off of.

Oh and alcohol & other drugs really don't help you study, though they do make it more fun.
  3. I used to study for history by re-writing all my notes down on a dry erase board. This is after writing them down with pen/pencil + paper during class. I find that writing things down helps me.

Get a good amount of sleep, even if you have to cut some study time. My theory is that if I'm well rested, I will be able to recall things easier.

I also listen to music when I'm doing schoolwork in general, studying, homework, papers etc. I find that it helps keep me more on task by taking some of the boredom out of it.

I'm only in HS atm, so I'll be following this thread, as I've a lot more studying to do still :bawl:
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I don't need to study much to recall information, but one thing that always helped is to study something right before I went to sleep and again when I woke up in the morning. Your goal is to try to think about it in your sleep and really embed it in your memory.
  5. If you can work out a block of time that you can work nonstop for, you'll do a bit better, most likely. I can work hard on schoolwork for about 45 minutes before my mind starts to wander a bit. Once that starts, it's practically over for me...

If I hit it hard for 45 minutes and then take a short break (10-15 minutes), I find it easier to return and work hard again. Some people can work for several hours consecutively, but if I try that I tend to start admiring the whiteness of the wall. Some variation of this may very well work for you.

Also, an interesting tip - chew a certain type of gum when you study, then pop a piece of the same in during your exam. Similarly, if you can find a way to study in the room where you'll be taking your exam, it'll help you out. These seem gimmicky and weird, but they work.

Good Luck!
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    There are some great tips in here (several of which I'll be using next year when I finally take a math course again :p) but I think there's one that still hasn't been mentioned. If possible, avoid all emotional stress. So if you're fighting with your dad about getting the car for a concert, strike a deal. If you and your girlfriend/boyfriend are having problems, fix it ASAP. Get everything that isn't to do with the subject at hand out of your mind, and give it no reason to come back during studying or the exam.
  7. As has been stated a few times, write down formulas and definitions. I find it's much easier to remember things I write down. If I just read them the information tends to enter and leave my brain. Writing it helps to internalize the info.
  8. Try to create your study environment as close to the test environment as possible. I don't mean turn your room into a massive hall, but rather if you're going to have an exam in a quiet room, there is no point having music blasting out, the tv on etc. Studies show that the closer the two environments the better.

9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    A lot of good tips here. Try to learn the material as if you were teaching it. That is, try to learn the material so you'd have no problem teaching/explaining to those who don't...

Also, if you don't understand, get help and ask questions...
  10. YES! Great one. In fact, the best way to study is to attempt to teach it to someone if you can find a friend that doesn't mind a lecture, give it a shot.
  11. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    Now that I'm done all my exams :smug: ..

I learned that studying is better with a friend. I get bored when I'm studying by myself. Drinking fuzzy drinks seem to keep me awake.

Study the material that's most likely on the test. I studied mostly material after the midterm. Find out the parameters of the exam, so know if it's multiple choice or essay. Lastly, cramming does work!
  12. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I personally get stoned:/

Advice:/ I'd say study until you understand it... memorization I don’t like too much... its like this when you get to understand subject you are learning even if you do not know answer you can try to figure it out... memorization means that if you don’t remember answer no way you will get it…

For example question is for say… “Was Henry VIII (brits) biggest pimp of his time (or any time for that matter)?” well hmm you might not know that but you do know that he was ruler when England broke away from Catholic church… so then you remember that Catholic church hates sex… So you have no idea if Henry the VIII was a pimp but its likely he was because he got Catholic church pissed at him… Then to support it he got Spain pissed by doing their royalty and dumping her… So the answer is yes… he could not keep his… in his pants…