1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Studying Jazz...Summer Programs..Continuing Education?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by lowEndRick, Dec 27, 2006.

1. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Hey All

I am becoming increasingly interested in studying jazz bass. At 42 years old with 3 kids, a wife, and numerous professional committments I can't just drop it all and enroll in a local university program. I also have lots of gaps in my knowledge that would prevent me from taking on a traditional college program. I've been a musician for over 30 years, but only recently came to the DB. I play a lot and gig often (mostly in the bluegrass genre) but I do not read music well yet and I am just catching up on a lot of theory.

I would love to find a continuing ed program geared towards someone who is more of a hobbyist or aspiring semi-pro with other life committments. I also have a lot of free time in the summer. I would love to find a program in CT or NY where I could study jazz bass more intensively for the summer.

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    How close to NYC are you? My former teacher, Santi DeBriano, is back in NYC and he teaches privately. You'll learn a great deal more that way than at a short summer program (not that a summer program would be bad) but private lessons would be tailored to you and would address your shortcomings.

3. philip sirois

philip sirois

May 29, 2006
    NYC
  4. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I'm not really close enough to NYC anymore to take lessons there. I've been resisting the lessons thing because of time and funds, but I think I might have to bite the bullet eventually to make some real progress. Right now I am working through the rufus reid material, but of course nothing replaces a real live teacher.

That vermont program looks good. I also found one in litchfield CT.

Anyone know any teachers in northern fairfield county CT?

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Nat Reeves is still at Hartt, right?

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    If the Jamie Abersold jazz camps are still going on... go to one of those

7. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    I realize this adults only camp is probably too far and perhaps too long to seriously consider, but you might find the information interesting and may lead to other options. It is a more performance oriented event, but sometimes performing in a controlled environment with good bassists can provide a more immediate learning forum, and can be a lot of fun also.

http://tritonejazz.com/

How about Berklee? How far is Boston from your location? I haven't checked their website to see if they have anything going on during the summer.

Lloyd

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Obviously I can't give you any advice about courses over there - but I would say keep trying!

Your situation is very similar to the one I found myself in and getting on a regular Jazz course Saturday mornings and annual Summerschool, really gave me impetus!

So - apart from getting to actually learn and play with others in a supportive environment, these things are a great way to meet other people who are in the same position/level as you and form bands etc etc.

If there is nothing suitable - the other thing to bear in mind are organised Jazz Jam sessions - where it is open for anybody to join in! I have often felt that getting thrown in at the deep end with better players can improve your playing no end - as long as your are thick-skinned enough to laugh off criticism etc. ;)

9. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

I am leaning towards this camp:

http://www.litchfieldjazzfest.com/jazzcamp_home.htm

If anyone has any opinions about this camp I'd greatly appreciate it. I live pretty close so it seems like a no brainer. I'm also considering calling Brian Torff for lessons in the spring sometime.

10. BassBot

BassBot

Oct 31, 2006
    San Francisco
    This is a great program for adults and it's over a weekend at a hotel: http://www.marylandsummerjazz.com/. Jeff Antoniuk is a phenomenal player and he has alot of his colleagues there as well.

11. appler

appler Guest

I can't say anything about the Litchfield program specifically, but I have had lessons with Joris Teepe, one of the bass instructors at the camp and he is an excellent teacher and player. He'll really get your playing in shape.

I've also attended a different jazz education program supervised by Don Braden and he certainly seems like a fantastic musical director and as Chris Fitzgerald and others will no doubt agree with, he plays his ass off.