1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Studying Paul Chambers...

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by glocke1, Nov 4, 2018.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    It was suggested to me that I spend some time studying/listening/transcribing some Paul Chambers bass work, mainly to help with my soloing.

Transcribing anything in any level of detail is probably out mainly due to time considerations, so the next best thing I guess is working through some printed material.

Suggestions? I see a few things at Jim Stinnets book store on his website.

2. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    The Music of Paul Chambers -Stinnett
    Walking In the Footsteps of Paul Chambers - Gourlay

...are both great. All the Stinnett stuff is great.

The sad truth is yes you will get more out of the exercise if you do the transcriptions yourself, but the books are great if you want to double check your rhythmic notation, or you're in a time crunch.

3. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    To be completely honest, I would recommend transcription . Even if you can only carve out 20 minutes a day you will be simultaneously strengthening your ear, your understanding of PC, and boosting your confidence as a bassist. Books don’t help with any of that. All of the hard work is already done for you without any of the benefit to you of having done it. I completely understand that being faced with this task is intimidating. But, once you start the benefits quickly change your playing. Good luck with it.

threetone, lrhbass, craigie and 3 others like this.
  4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Skip printed material and just learn it by ear. You'll be better off. Make sure you know the changes to the tunes too so you can see how the line interacts with the harmony. If time is limited, just focus on 4-8 bar sections at a time. No need to write it down, do it in your head.

lrhbass, craigie and msw like this.
  5. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I faintly rememeber someone had a Google doc they shared with a ton of transcribed solos. Am I making this up, or am I remembering correctly?

6. thehindteet

thehindteet

Jan 15, 2013
    i did a lot of PC transcriptions when I was studying with Jim, I think my favorite was "Whims of Chambers" from the album of the same name, very approachable, I don't think its in any of the books but such a good one.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  7. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    When I transcribe the passage is stuck in my ear; when someone else did it not so. I do admit though that I have got a lot out of tod coolmans book.

8. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Spend the time and actually transcribe. Listen to the solo over and over and over again, then be able to sing it with and without the recording. THEN pick up the bass and play it.

Listen to his song Visitation. Head, 4 choruses of a killin bass solo and head out. Learn the whole thing. Reading won't help as much.

9. kerrycares

kerrycares Lover of God, People , Music and Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    I found that the transcribed solos support the ear.

For me I struggled with “hearing” the language so after I could “read” the language, doing transcriptions got a ton easier.
    Now I can transcribe a lot faster!

I could also understand intervals better as I read the music.
    Also if I was away from a solo for a while , reading it refreshed it quickly.

Solos are like any other language and if you truly understand the language you can read it , write it and speak/sing it.

Check out openstudio.com , I dig their be-bop pack.

10. rickwolff

rickwolff Certified Gear Junkie, Amateur Adjunct Professor Supporting Member

I think you'll find that at

OpenstudioNETWORK.com