Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

studying the music of Marcus Miller...how popular could it be?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by AJ Love, Feb 12, 2003.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I have been very fortunate to be able to study in the last 6 months with a true genius of the bass guitar (Bruce Alford) who has been able to show me not just the notes but the subtleties and nuances and phrasing of Marcus Miller's music, learning songs off of not just Marcus' own solo albums but also the songs he has done with Miles Davis and David Sanborn as well

Bruce and I got to talking about putting together and marketing a instructional book and/or video that would explain these aspects of Marcus' work and style in bass-playing

my question to you, my bass playing friends is: do you think there is much of a market for such a book? would enough people be interested in it to make it worth our time in putting together? the difference in this book as opposed to many instructional books is that it would go into much more detail in terms of the subtleties of the style (the slide up to notes, the phrasing etc) and the transcriptions would be extremely accurate

your feedback is requested and welcomed

2. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    anyone have an opinion about this?

would a book like this be of value to alot of up and coming bassists?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's a book out called "Play In The Style Of Marcus Miller" by German bassist Markus Setzer.
    But it's available in German only.
    Since the German market is smaller than the U.S. market, I guess it's marketable.

BTW, I never read that book, do I can't tell you how accurate and extensive it is.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Mr Miller is a very famous and telnted bassist, I'm sure it would be very well received. His latest stuff is real 'slapfest' material, people will dig that worlwide.

However, I am of the opinion that anyone can learn to appreciate and eventually play the "subtleties and nuances and phrasing" of another musicians music, if a) it is within their ability b) they practice hard enough and c) they really listen.

I also feel that when you buy a book of someone elses lines, it is as much of a learning experience to figure out these subtleties for yourself form 'just the notes', if that makes any sense.

I'm sure any well contrsucted instructional book will sell, but the point I think is that you can't learn perfect phrasing from a book, you can only learn it by listening closely and practicing hard.

Go for it tho, I say. You could also interview Mr Miller once you've completed the book - maybe include a passage written by him in person? :)

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I agree with Howard, that you can really learn the little things by listening, and by being open eared and open minded. But people are ALWAYS trying to find the quickest route to be the greatest, and instructional books like the one you have proposed are definatly marketable, especially if you have something more unique to offer. I would definatly go for it, if you are on top of your game and really keep at the marketing you could make some good cash.

6. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire