1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stuff about P.A.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Jun 5, 2002.

  1. Alrighty guys, I'm in a band,and we're looking for a P.A. , I've picked up a few things along the way, touring with my brother's band, and I was wondering some things about mixers, crossovers and P.A. in general.So....

    If my understanding is correct, busses are Main sends?
    You run from the busses to power amps then into the main speakers?
    How would I run from the 2 busses, into a crossover, then into mains and seperate subs?

    Any other information you can give on P.A. Mixers, Power amps, Crossovers, or any safe techniques are accepted....Thanks a billion in advance.

    Also, how would I run EQ's, FX units and maybe a BBE Sonic Maximizer?
  2. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eeeeeyowwwelllll ... busses are conductors that carry signal from one place to another. For instance, auxiliary sends are busses that carry a signal to places like monitors, effects processors, recording devices and the like. Auxiliary returns are busses that bring a signal home after something else has worked on it. The returns can be assigned to monitors, subs, mains, control room, whatever. The main outputs are kind of the end of the line for all the busses. Yes, the main outputs usually go to one or more amplifiers and then from there to sound transducers (speakers).
  3. Bob Lee (QSC)

    Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

    Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A bus in a mixer is a summing node for multiple signals. If your board mixes down to stereo (left and right), both sides have a bus. If the board has aux sends, each one has a bus. If the board has submasters, each also has a bus.

    A "buss," OTOH, is a kiss. If your board has those, well, I hope that's what you like. ;)

    If you use full-range speakers, you connect the mixer's main output(s)--one for mono, two for stereo--directly to the power amp input(s), unless you have an equalizer, limiter, etc. to put in between.

    If you bi-amp, then you run the main signal(s) out of the mixer, equalizer, whatever, into the crossover input(s). Then the crossover outputs go to the power amp inputs.

    If you run a mono bi-amp system, you need at least two channels of power amplification (it could be one two-channel amp). If you run stereo bi-amp, you need at least four channels.

    Effects are usually run from an aux output (if there's no effects send) and then the effects output comes back into the board on either an effects return or an aux input. It depends on the board. Larger boards often have an insert on each channel, too; that's what you would use for putting an effect onto just that one channel.

    To help you understand PA systems better, check out these books and Web sites:

    Live Sound for Musicians by Rudy Trubitt (former live sound editor of Mix magazine); publ. Hal Leonard Publishing (this would be a good one to start with)

    Sound Reinforcement Handbook written for Yamaha by Gary Davis & Ralph Jones; publ. Hal Leonard Publishing (once you start learning, this one will take you further)


    The books are available from Barnes & Noble, Borders, Amazon, Sam Ash, Guitar Center, and many other bookstores and music stores. If they don't have either one in stock, they can usually get it within a couple days.

Share This Page