Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stuff I saw this weekend.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LajoieT, Nov 7, 2004.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well I had a great and interesting weekend and just wanted to share it with anyone who want's to listen (read) and maybe share anything similar.

Started out on Friday taking the seedlings to see The Incredibles. GREAT MOVIE!!!! I think it beats ALL of the other big animated films (Nemo, Toy Story, Shrek, etc) hands down (They were for the most part great when they came out, I just think that the work done on The Incredibles Trumps them all, it's not a slam on them, it's just theatrical progress and a GREAT story.) My kids can't stop talking about it. My wife feels the same way I do (we rarely agree so completely on anything). Her friend who came with us and her kids feel the same way. It is just a GREAT (family oriented, which is rare these days) movie that happens to be animated.

Then earlier today, we were all in the car driving 1.5 hours into the Boston area for my nephew's 2nd Birthday. The kids were contently playing in the back seat and the wife and I were having a decent conversation on some things each of us had read recently and WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!!!!!!

A Porsche Carrera GT passes us on the right (we were in the center lane). We played leap frog with it for a little while ( the guy driving was enjoying the attention ) and it is truely a BEAUTIFUL car. I thought it looked great when I saw photos of it, but in person it was STUNNING!!! Perfectly ballanced, sleek, stylish, agressive yet tastefull. I've never been a pig Porsche fan, and I don't think if I was planning on spending $450K on a car I would buy one, but it was WAY better looking in person than I expected.

Well that's my high points this weekend. What's been up with you?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Celebrated my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. What an awesome couple of people.

Then my wife and I booked it home and went out to eat at a good restaurant and the went and saw Edgar Meyer TEAR IT UP with the Waco Symphony Orchestra.

Played bass at church this morning and then watched football all afternoon. Life is good!

brad cook

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I played music with my dad and my neighbor.

Its odd, because theres a girl next door who's my age, and I hang out with her dad more than I do with her.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Friday: Got off work and my band practiced in a musty, flooded weight room. Drunk guitarist almost got his arse kicked for screaming in my face.

Saturday: played Friends For Life benefit that was thrown together by a friend. Got to take my new Ampeg 6x10 and Ibanez ATK into battle. They served me well. Almost beat the living #$&*^ out of a tow truck driver who forced the promoters to give him $100 of the door money to not tow the truck. What a scum bag.

today: Absolutely nothing!!!!!!!! :cool:

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow...sounds like you're always on the verge of beating someone.

:p

brad cook

6. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    On Friday I went to my guitarist house and wrote 4 new songs and then left to go see SAW(which was awesome). Then on Saturday I hung out with my lady friend then went to the skatepark. Where I actually did have to beat down a guy, but it's all good because he's my friend. And today I watched the Steelers win a football game and had some french toast. I'd say this weekend was good.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I had a show Friday. Afterwards, this blonde told me to "lose my wife". :rolleyes: Nice to know that the rodent's still got it! :bassist:

8. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Thursday (this semester that's part of my weekend): Played in a talent show here at NYU. I had to drag my electric keyboard four blocks on a hand truck in the rain for a three minute song, and I didn't even win a prize. On top of that, the song I played was Tom Lehrer's "Lobackevsky" and my voice was ruined for a day and a half because of the Russian/Yiddish accent I do in that song. But it was fun anyway! Just goes to show that I'll do anything for an opportunity to perform (even when it's not on bass). :)

Friday: Came home to Long Island.

Saturday: I wore a new shirt that fit me very well (that's unusual for me, I have interesting proportions and have a hard time finding clothes that fit). Went to a performance of Twelfth Night at my former high school. I enjoyed the show. My friend Russ taught me how to program numbers into my cell phone.

Sunday: I found a great bass tone for recording :bassist: . I had to leave my equipment out how it was so I can record next weekend when I go back there.
    Then I came back to the city and got onto Talkbass and typed this post.

It's been a good weekend.

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Going to sleep, I've had a real ****ty last 2 weeks :(.

10. OOH! What did they play?

11. Sorry to hear that. Tomorrow, go find a good local concert, and mosh your brains out. Always makes me feel better.:D

Rock on
    Eric

12. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I was going out with a girl for a few months, but I broke up with her after I realized that I enjoyed having a conversation with her dad more than having a conversation with her.

I ate, slept, woke up and looked into bass gear. And I bought an amp. And found out that somebody stole my mom's bank card number and spent $700 at Old Navy. Why in the hell do you spend that much money at Old Navy?! :confused:

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  14. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Frieday night: I went to a metal night at the uni' bar/club with some friends. Anti Product were headlining and some local(ish) punk band were supporting.

I'm not into either of those bands but it was a good gig, especialyl when my friends went to see the band and I ended up chillin' with a zombie-film geek (who spotted my dawn of the dead tshirt), a Japanese girl and 2 lesbians. Great fun!

15. Were they cute?

Rock on
    Eric

16. Hey We got new xmas lyrics:

3 zombi-film geeks
    2 lesbians
    and a MIJ-annnn-eeese girl

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    "Maybe just a salad" was not in the movie!

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

Heh, thanks, don't think I can go to any shows tonight :meh:

19. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I don't remember going to any punk show. ;)
    Zombie geeks are great fun to talk too. They hold wonderful insight into the world of horror movies. I should really calm down with the zombie thing, but I probably won't.

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i also saw the incredibles with my kids on friday
    awesome movie - we laughed thru the whole thing and are still laughing
    great flick