Stuff people buy that make boutique basses look cheap by comparison.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Today, I visited a pretty high end store and they sold a lot of fancy things. The thing that got me is that a lot of the ornaments they had on sale are far less functional and rewarding to own than a musical instrument. Granted, they're not interchangeable, but seeing the price tags on those things made me think twice about how expensive high end basses are.

For example: Koi Wall Screen:

"Handpainted on gold paper, matted in silk brocade and framed in lacquered wood, this wall hanging is signed by the Japanese artist. Mounting hardware included. 71"W x 36"H. Imported."

Price? $1900.00! Ok, so it's pretty to look at, but what else does it do? I'd rather hang a used Ken Smith on the wall for that kind of money. It's no less a work of art and it's a lot more rewarding to own.

Can you think of other things?
  2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats a nice...but I'd never spend 1900 on it.

I don't understand super expensive watches. I've been shopping for a watch lately and I just don't get some of these thosand dollars + watches. Even if I was loaded, the most I could see myself paying for a watch is $300...and It take a lot to get me to spend that much. I'd much rather buy a new bass, amp, computer, etc for that much money. Something I can use creatively.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cars. If given a choice between driving a POS and owning 5 boutique basses, or one nice car and 0 boutique basses, what woudl you choose?
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The car. 99% of the people couldn't tell the difference between my Kingston and a 535, but heads sure turn when you have your friend drive you to the gig in a Jaguar XJ.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is turning heads what is important to you?
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    If you're an art fan and not a musician, it's a hell of a lot more rewarding to own.

As someone who makes and sells paintings, I can fully appreciate the usefulness and price of artworks. I sell mine for relatively very little- I sell 18"x24"s for arount $800-$1000. If you think $1900 is a lot for a larger piece of work, you should take a stroll down Newbury Street in Boston or through most of Manhattan....$1900 for a painting that size is very cheap. I've been asked by several TalkBass members about my artwork and how much a piece would cost. I'm always amazed at the ones who buy high-end basses but when I send out my price examples, I never hear back :D

You know how there's always a family photo or two that instantly brings up strong emotions and is pretty much invaluable to you? People buy art because particular pieces can instantly give you that same feeling when you look at them, and at the same time be a one-of-a-kind handcrafted artpiece. Doesn't have to be just realist works either- I've had, and known many others who've had a strong emotional reaction to an abrstract piece. Not to mention that a bass won't involve the viewer much in it's interpretations or's just there. There's lots of paintings like that as well, but the good ones create something unique between itself and each of it's viewers.
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It is. When you are driving a nice car it gives a little boost to confedence, just like you feel when you know you're well dressed on your way to a job interview. And while it might not show that you left your sparkling Mercedes on the parking lot, that extra half an inch you're standing taller since you feel good about yourself sure does.

And besides, musically, those same heads would turn with a $1000 Yamaha than with a $4000 MTD, but it's much easier to catch negative vibes when you know there's a dent in your appearance while driving a 1992 beater Toyota :meh:
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I drogve a 1987 beater toyota for a while. I now drive a 1994 camry xle v6, still a toyota, but its got the goodies, and it wasnt super duper expensive. For a teenager, its not a bad ride.

I choose middle ground. Decent car that neither turns heads nor hurts your self esteem, and nice basses, without going super duper expensive. I have 2 basses that are about $1250-$1500 each and for a teenager thats not too bad :smug:
  9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Ahmen Brutha.

Damn near sig material if you ask me.

10. No one is going to turn their head for an XJ. Portland isn't exactly a rich city, but out here XJs are glut on the road. You want something that will turn heads? Get a 1958 Corvette. Looks better, sounds better, gets better gas milage, and I guarentee that you will turn more heads with it.

Waht bothers me isn't so much that some weirdo things are overly expensive (ie $25,000 Rolex) but that people actually think they're getting a better deal. I've had the same $30 Columbia watch for almost 7 years now. It still tells me the time, just like that Rolex. Mine also has a countdown timer, a stop watch, 3 alarms, and an alternate time zone. That $25,000 Rolex has none of those. My watch has been beaten to death during the various jobs that I have had. I would freak if I had a watch that expensive and it got one scratch on it!! So, which do you think is the better fiscal and logical deal, the eye candy, or the useful?

Rock on
  11. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I have stopped trying to rationalize all my "I need it" purchases, especially when it comes to basses and equipment. I don't need anything really. Sometimes I just want it and it makes me happy to have good equipment and I see no problems with that if you can afford it. I have a lot of stuff, although none that I would consider to be boutique.

I too would prefer a nice bass over a highly accessorized car. Art; it would depend on the piece.
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    All I can say is let people spend their money on whatever they want. If a $50,000 Escalade is what floats your boat, or a megabuck Sadowsky, or a high priced wall hanging, then more power to you. Your money, your choice.

I have no use for any of the above, but that's just me. YMMV

I'll take the car everytime.
  13. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    "Flaunt it, baby. Flaunt it"! - Max Bialytstock :D
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Another example I thought of would be fine wines. Like SMASH, I know a couple guys with some really spendy time pieces.

You could also get into the world of shoes and womens handbags.

15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'll take the car!

Besides, if you want to call a boutique bass $2,500 and multiply that by five, you're only up to $12,500.

Sure, 12 g's will get you a reliable car, and it will get you a practical car, and maybe even one that will last for 200,000 miles. But IMO a nice car goes for several times that. :D I like to dream big.

16. Well, lets see...

I spent $AUD2000 on my espresso machine
    I have spent $AUD5500 on basses, $AUD4500 on my amp
    $AUD9300 on my education (and counting)

I guess it's all about what is important to you. I wouldn't spend megabux on a watch, or art, but I don't begrudge people who do.

A lot of the items we spend our money on are things that make us feel good. No one needs a 2k coffee machine, but because it is a passion of mine, I know that I have the very best that is available outside of a 4 group plumbed commercial machine....

As mentioned, YMMV
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you're as passionate about your coffee as my wife and I, you're probably saving up for that 4-group right now like we are. :D

18. Dude, you live in Washington. The only way you could get better coffee would be to fly to Colombia and pick the beans yourself!!

Wait, that might actually be kinda cool....

Rock on
  19. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Diecast model of a crawler crane: $3,042.17:

I can understand spending big money on something you truly enjoy. This, however, is beyond my comprehension.

edit: server busy...finished post.
  20. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Trophy wives.

brad cook