Stuff people have bought you.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Jan 25, 2004.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    It is a year ago today that me and my girlfriend started going out, and to celebrate she bought me an envelope filter.:)

Its a DOD FX25B which she had to get mail ordered, it ended up costing about £75 for her, which i knida feel bad about because she didnt know postage and packaging would be so much.

This is definately one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me, an envelope filter is just what i have been GASing for(including a whole bunch of other stuff)

So, i thought id set up a thread for people to post pictures, or write about things that people have bought them, wether it be your girlfriend, wife, or parents, show us it all!
  2. My husband was watching me practice, and suddenly he got this kind of gleam in his eye (no, not that, shame on you) and said that he knew what to get me for Christmas. He got the idea from seeing me do something, but I couldn't remember what I was doing at that moment--it certainly wasn't anything unusual.

He said it was something that I would have bought for myself, only I didn't know it existed, and that I would wonder how I ever lived without it.

It was a Planet Wave cable with a switch to turn off the cable. I was turning off all of the volume knobs to avoid godawful noises while switching basses when the idea hit him. I didn't know it existed, and it works!
  3. A couple of years ago i really wanted a bodhran, but the only ones i could find locally were the cheap souvenir-quality ones with stuff silk-screened on them, and i couldn't afford to spend enough to get a decent one shipped overseas, so that dream kind of fizzled. my girlfriend now lives in england, and made a trip to ireland. for my xmas present, she brought back a bodhran from a professional bodhran maker in dublin. I'm very happy.
  4. my pops got me a djembe. it's is quite nice; it hollowed out wood with a goatskin head; not a lame fiberglass one (which cost more anyway, psshh...)
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    My other gave me an Ovation Elite! It's totally awesome, and so is she! :)
  6. my parents have given me £200 to spend on both of my basses as part of Christmas. :)

now and then they usually pay for shipping or something when I buy something... :)
  7. My mom bought me my Peavey Mark III and she helped buy my Hartke 410VX (I payed $150, she payed $100 for it).
  8. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    For christmas a couple back, I got a stand, DOD distortion pedal, and some polish for an acoustic guitar(from my grandma)...I was the only one who found it funny.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My wife gave me a vintage Ampeg Baby Bass for a birthday present.

Stuff friends have given me over the years:

vintage Fuzz Face pedal
    Ampeg B25B cabinet
    ARP Odyssey synthesizer
  10. guys got great friends/sig others!

My mother bought me a Guitar Stand,Kick-ass gig bag,and my Bass Package for christmas! :D
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Last Christmas my wife bought me an Avatar 4x10 and Valencia acoustic guitar. For a semi-birthday present, she bought me the Boss GT-6B pedal. This Christmas she got me the Yamaha PSR-550 keyboard on the right.

And this past father's day, she gave me the money to have these LEDs put into my custom while it was being built.

I'm a lucky guy :)
  12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    So far I've scored a free strap and a capo (which I have no use for at all) from the wifey - stuff that was left behind from the guitar players she ran around with while we were seperated for a while... :rolleyes: ...well, that just wasn't a very good story at all :bawl: :rolleyes:
  13. *hug*

Mr.Tyler,I envy you.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My dad bought me my Dunlop Crybaby GCB-100 bass wah last year for an end of school gift. This year i got the Digitech Bp200 bass processor for Christmas. Everything else was on me.
  15. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    For my 21st birthday/Christmas 2001 my parents bought me a Warwick Streamer Std. 5 string... which I sold like a year later because it had no punch and the pickups were too quiet to get a decent slap tone from, then again, I absolutely sucked and didn't deserve a bass that good so it made no difference. This year for Christmas/birthday they basically bought me my Avatar B410. My parents rule, no doubt about it. Sadly, I'd kind of like that Warwick back because if I had added a preamp I think it would have been an amazing bass, oh well.
  16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    my dad bought me my first bass, an ibanez sr505, and for christmas he bought me my first amp, a fender rumble 100.
  17. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    My sweetie just today bought me a 'NAMM' style
    wall hanger for my instrument.
    She thinks my instrument is a work of art that
    should be displayed in the living room. :D
    So thoughtful!
    Says she's been surfing E-Bay looking for a
    wall hanger to surprise me with and found this:

18. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    So that's a Carvin R600 powering that Avatar 410? If it is, that's the exact same amp setup that I've been wanting for quite some time now. Tell me about it!

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    It's a Carvin R1000 but they're pretty much the same thing. The Avatar is great and the Carvin is good but it takes some work to find your sounds with all the EQ controls. In general, it's a pretty clean sound without being too modern, and when the volume goes up the bass response becomes quite awesome. It's a good budget rig, that's for sure. My Carvin head has some problems so I'll probably upgrade to a nice Aguilar head at some point in the future, but for now it suits me well.