1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stuff to do along I10?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wdinc01, May 25, 2011.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    My brother and I are taking a road trip along I10 starting Friday. I mean literally, all of I10. We'll be starting in Jacksonville and go to wherever it ends, and then to Santa Barbara because he starts tech school next week for the Air Force.

I already have one stop planned for Pensacola (which is where I go to school and have an apartment), and we're also stopping in Texas to see our uncle. I also plan on going to an In-N-Out, but that won't be until I get to California. But other than that, I haven't figured anything out.

I think we're mostly looking for restaurants, but all suggestions are welcomed.

2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Have your uncle take you shopping for a nice cowboy hat.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You dont have to wait til you get to Ca, they have one in Texas now. I dunno about New Mexico, but they have a few in Arizona as well.

I'm also travelling along the 10, from Ca to Texas and back.

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah I saw on the company's website that they have some in Texas. I'm not sure how close to I10 those are, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunity to eat at one. Needless to say, all of my east coast friends will be quite jealous.

5. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    If your on i10 I would pass on the Texas in and out burger unless you want to take about a 5 hour detour one way.

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

In San Antonio, see the Riverwalk. Whig's is a good jazz/martini bar on the Riverwalk or right nearby. I like to eat at least once at Rosario's when I get down there. Downtown, a couple of blocks from the Jesse Gonzalez Center. See the Alamo.

I would detour to the Grand Canyon if you haven't seen it, head north from Phoenix. That you should see at least once in your lifetime. I am fond of Wickenburg and the Prescott area though I find Sedona a bit too snotty for me.

If you choose to bypass the canyon, I would try to take 95 N to Parker, the dam and all that and take the scenic route rte 62 paralleling I-10 and go all the way 62>247>18> 14 down to Santa Clarita and 126 to Oxnard up to Santa Barbera. Nicer ride by far.

East Texas, I have yet to find anything endearing about Houston. I'd take the scenic route from New Orleans along 82 to Port Arthur and hook into 10 at Beaumont though. I would also be tempted to take 90 in Mississippi and go through Gulfport and that area.

Sounds like a fun trip.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If you need to try In-N-Out, there are probably at least a dozen within spitting distance of the I-10 in So Cal.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Definitely stop in New Orleans. Have a Turbodog and a po' boy, then wander around The French Market and buy something cool like some spices or an alligator head.

-Mike

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Sounds like a blast. Frankly, I'm jealous. Keep your eyes out for tornados and high water. :meh:

10. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No they wont. Go read the In-N-Out thread. A lot of people find In-N-Out to be overhyped, which it kinda is. I mean, I love it, but its not the greatest thing in the world. Hope you enjoy it!

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I went to school in Santa Barbara quite a few years ago. Much has changed since then so I found a couple of links that may help you out:
    Chowhound

Road trip planning

Good luck. Be safe!

12. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    There's an In & Out in Tucson right off the freeway. Be sure to get gas when you can in Texas between San Antonio and El Paso there's some long stretches of very little. If you want to bypass New Orleans take the 12 not as scenic but doesn't bring you through the city. Oh there's a place called Kiki's in El Paso it's the best Mexican food you'll ever have. Other than that it's a long drive load up some tunes and head West!

13. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I'll see if I can check this place out, thanks!

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If it's all that, bring me some chicken enchiladas and a chile relleno. Thanks.

15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Me too, but I want a tamale instead of the chicken enchiladas.

-Mike

16. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    You gotta take exit 49 to Fabens. Cattlemans steak house. Mmmmmm.....

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Will do!

But Im on a bus, and the route goes nowhere near Lacey...

18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Planes do.

-Mike

19. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You plan on flying to the El Monte airport on Memorial Day? I'll have you some tamales and chile rellenos!

20. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I have a feeling that somewhere in the middle of the New Mexico desert, my plate of enchiladas and chille relleno will become your late-night snack.