1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stuff to do in Montreal/Quebec City?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ben Lesser, Apr 2, 2009.

1. The lady and I are taking a trip up to Montreal and Quebec City later this month, just to spend some time away and do some stuff. I've been to Montreal a number of times, but always just to see shows, and I'm usually drunk the entire time I'm there, so I haven't seen a lot of the city (especially during the day). I've never been to Quebec City, except when passing by it. :p

Any suggestions on places to do? We're looking for museums, parks (not that there'd be much greenery at the end of April/early May), nice restaurants, anything like that. Not so much interested in bars or anything of that ilk, since I've done that lots of times, and it's not necessarily her bag, nor the sort of stuff we'll be there for.

Our only places in Montreal right now are the BioDome and the Eaton Center. Everything else is fair game. We'll be in Montreal for 4 days, and Quebec for 3.

If it helps, we'll be staying at the Marriott in both cities (girlfriend's sister works for them, so sweet discounts on rooms). She speaks French fluently (her first language), so communication is a non-issue.

Thanks!

2. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Check out the view from the look out on Mount-Royal, grab one of the best bagels I've ever tasted from the famous bagel shop on rue St-Viateur, grab a smoked meat sandwich from Rueben's. If either of you fancy, and have some coin to drop, maybe check out a Habs game? Best thing to do I guess would be to walk around, take in some of the sights... I was there this past weekend and two days definately was not enough. Seems like a really cool town.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Find the most perfect maple leaf?

4. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Montreal is a good walking city, meaning that the core is not too big and you can get to most of the places you'll want to see on foot (provided you like walking). Old Montreal is a must. Sure, it's touristy - but there's a good reason for that. Near the Biodome you also have the Insectarium and the wonderful Botanical Gardens (which I prefer to the Biodome). You can buy a pass that will grant you access to all three sites (Biodome, Insectarium and Botanical Gardens). For shopping, you can walk along St. Catherine street near Peel metro or go up to St. Laurent street above Sherbrooke. It's also nice walking along St. Denis street between Mont-Royal street and Sherbrooke street. Public transport is really good in Montreal and the metro system will get you pretty much anywhere you'll need to go. Don't be afraid of the language issue. Almost everyone in Montreal speaks English enough to hold a conversation. Once in a while you'll get people who pretend not to understand English just to make a point, but I think you'll find that most people are pretty laid back (this is, however, not the case in Quebec city. Many in Quebec don't speak English). For restaurants in Montreal - well, there's a lot to choose from. You should have no trouble finding a variety of good spots that will suit your tastes and budget. I will tell you that for late-night eats, it doesn't get better than Boustan on Crescent street (just above deMaisonneuve). Best Lebanese ever. Also, for good and cheap Thai, there's a place called Bangkok II on St. Catherine street just West of St. Mathieu street (near Guy metro). Oh - if you like chocolate you HAVE to go to a place called Juliette & Chocolat on St. Denis between Ontario street and deMaisonneuve. Get yourselves a Grandma's style semi-sweet hot chocolate and you'll be in heaven...

Quebec city is also a great walking town (and it's significantly smaller than Montreal). Anywhere near the old fort (Plains of Abraham) makes for good walking with lots of shops, restaurants and beautiful architecture. You won't need to take a bus - all you'll need are your feet (unless you want to go and see the Montmorency Falls, which I've heard are kind of cool).

Oh, and the place to go for smoked meat in Mtl isn't Rueben's, it's here:

www.schwartzsdeli.com

Have fun!

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Cafe Santropol
    Schwartz's
    Old Montreal
    Take a walk up Boulevard St.Laurent
    Chalet Bar BQ
    Poutine
    Steam-ays
    Lafleurs
    Orange Julep
    Steve's Music Store

6. Thanks for the suggestions. Like I said, I'm not new to Montreal, having been there a few times before. I'm just usually only out at night, and usually not sober. :p

I definitely plan on going to Schwartz, and I've been to Boustan's before. Amazing drunk food.

Thanks, though!

7. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Arizona
    Vieux Quebec is very cool, but most of the eateries are quite expensive. Worthwhile checking out Morency falls too, it's a quick drive from downtown. Also there's a huge church - which I can't remember the name right now - on the road to the falls.
    Don't forget the Citadel when in Quebec, the tour is quite interesting.
    The L'Assemble National buildings are pretty cool too.

8. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    If you happen to be in Quebec on a tuesday, check out the Mardi Jazz at Fou Bar on rue Saint-Jean.

It will probably be cold, so there will be less to see around Montmorency Falls for now. Still, it's usually worth the short trip.

There are lots of good restaurants. Ask around for the kind of food you feel like, people are usually nice. You might wanna try l'Astral. It's a restaurant on top of the Concorde Hotel, and it slowly turns to complete a full rotation in something like an hour. Quite a unique way of seeing the town. And it's delicious.

9. Actually, yes, we are going to be there on a Tuesday.

You're not going to show up and kidnap me are you? :bag:

10. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Forget about any Habs game before the end of the season. Tickets will either be 250$+ or non-existant.

Stuff to do in Quebec city:

The Chateau Frontenac is pretty much a must even if it is touristy, but I don't know if visits are available at this time of the year.

Musée des Beaux Arts has a permanent exposition wich depicts life in the colonies plus other expositions wich tend to be good. Musée de la Civilisation I don't fancy very much.

The area around Place Royale has a lot of art galleries. Again, I don't know if they are open at this time of the season. But it's nice anyway, completly restored to its 18th century look.

Saint-Jean street has a lot of bars and shops. Same thing for Grande Allée.

If you want good dining at somewhat affordable prices, you really have to get out of downtown and to Sainte-Foy. There you'll find a huge number of Thai, Sushi, Italian, local cuisine, etc. Old Quebec has about nothing lower than 150$ with wine/tips unless you go to surrounding areas or hole in the wall places.

La crêperie bretonne near le Chateau has a singer/guitar dude that is there since something ridiculous like 1980. An institution.

Terasse Montcalm allows you a very good view of the Saint-Laurent.

Sugarshacks abound on l'Ile d'Orléans (20 minutes from downtown on a good day), but you will probably get better prices and a less touristy feel if you are willing to drive an hour or so.

If you are willing to drive, by all means go to Baie Saint-Paul. You'll pass in front of the waterfall (wich is quite frozen last time I checked) and the Cathédrale de Sainte-Anne de Beaupré (the huge church somebody talked about). Baie Saint-Paul has a zillion art galleries (being the art capitol of Canada), many of wich feature other stuff than paintings of houses in pastel. It also has a very nice microbrewry and they produce some of the finest cheese in the whole province. If you go on Sundays, the musuem is free. Be aware that the lady that will greet you is VERY talkative (to the point of annoyance), but it's worth it.

To boot, the sight is gorgeous. It really is. And you can get some skiing done at Massif de la Petite-Rivière Saint-François if that's your thing.

I really recommend Baie Saint-Paul. Seriously. Spend a day there.

11. I would like to bump this year-old thread and ask about live music in Montreal and Quebec City on Easter weekend. We will be in Montreal overnight on Friday the 2nd and Monday the 5th and in Quebec City overnight on Saturday the 3rd and Sunday the 4th.

We have received some suggestions re Montreal but not much for Quebec City. Anyone have good venues to recommend for jazz, blues, folk, trad country, rootsy rock, etc?

:bassist:

12. Italmélodie has the biggest bass selection in Canada (as they say), no fenders. It's on 250 Jean-Talon East

13. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Mhm bass wise in MTL there's italmelodie and if I'm not mistaken the big Archambault usually carries a fbass or two, there's also Steve's and Lutherie MF (Caron's ABG 6'er fretless comes from there).

As for Quebec there's Gagne&frere and richard something, both in the same area.

Personnaly I love Quebec's old city "Vieux Quebec" it's my favorite area, as for activities I think there's the mommies expo at the civilisation museum and also Bodys at "Place du 400e" or something.

14. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    For restaurant ideas, just look on urbanspoon.

Clearly.

15. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Man, that's sad! I have to say, though, I prefer going to Ital than to either Archambault or Steve's when it comes to looking at basses.

16. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Gagné et Frères and Musique Richard Gendreau, they're almost side by side.

You'll be a day late if you come by the third, but every friday there's a bunch of excellent blues players at La Grange Marcoux (in Beauport, it's kind of hard to find). Otherwise, hang on St-Jean street and look out for the Pub Saint-Alexandre and the smaller Bar Saint-Angèle (the green door on your right). Both usually have some cool jazz gigs happening, and the Saint-Alexandre is sure to fulfill your beer discovery needs (they have ~250 kinds).

17. Merci bien for the tips. :)

:bassist:

18. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    It's too bad you won't be in Quebec City on April 9th - I would have told you to come check out the singer/songwriter I'm playing with at L'Intendant.

19. yeah, lots of basses, not all interesting though.

They have a brand new 400+ for sale though :eek:

20. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    May I?

I am myself playing for one at L'Agitée on the 4th.