Stuff you can't live without.. .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockandroller, Nov 6, 2002.

1. an exotic wood top

40 vote(s)
  2. Active pickups with treble/bass EQ

51 vote(s)
  3. Sweep mid active EQ ( or multiple EQs)

33 vote(s)
  4. FIVE strings

47 vote(s)
  5. SIX strings

21 vote(s)
  6. continuous wood control cavity covers

18 vote(s)
  7. graphite or ebony neck stringers

23 vote(s)
  8. LED side dots

18 vote(s)
  9. LED fret markers!

18 vote(s)
  10. Extra long scale (35" or beyond)

31 vote(s)
  11. All passive circuitry

19 vote(s)
  12. "true custom" - (your own personal design, rather one of the maker's stock styles)

30 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. For your next "exotic" bass, what are the features you truly can't do without?

anything real obvious that i missed?
  2. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    i dont see cup holder and dual climate control as options.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Massive amounts of mother-of-pearl inlays?
    Platinum or solid gold truss rod cover? :p
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If I'm gonna throw down for a fancy bass, the minimum I'll get is fancy top and fancy EQ. I'll also get 5 strings, but that's mandatory for *any* bass I buy, custom or production!

Shoot, I shouldn't have voted for fancy EQ. They can be fun (and useful), but passive axes are cool too.
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'd take a decent rig and skip a "fancy" bass.
  6. ahh.. i forgot about "eye candy"! I guess custom fretboard inlays are one way to ramp up the showstopper quotient.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    i think at one time i would have said an active eq... however, I recently discovered that my bass has a passive sound to die for... so... I think i now cannot live without a passive/active switch
  8. Active/passive pickups, with a passive/active switch (can be a life saver with dead batteries) LED side marks, exotic wood top, 3 band EQ with Sweepable mids. thats it for now...
  9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Stock out-of-the-box:
    The BassLabs "Soul" in ice-blue
    Tobias "Renegade" 4 in natural
    Fellow talkbassers, I must currently struggle along with ONLY my awesome unbelievable etc. '69 P-Bass & my bangin' Sterling!
    Can you please see your way clear to pitch in and BUY me these two instruments?
    They are both bonestock, and could be purchased for around $3500 or so, for both.
    Birthday is in december; will gladly accept delivery NOW.
  10. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    exotic wood, side and front LED's, engraved !! brass backplates, rocket scientist EQ. I'd also take a similar one with 5 strings, ebony neck veneers and continous wood backplates, just for a change! :p

11. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    SS Strings : ( .44 - .62 - .85 - .106 - .125 ) and my bass Head-Amp.
  12. This is yet another classic case of good intentions gone a-wry. The TB poll format renders the numbers meaningless because it will only track one vote (or check mark as the case may be) at a time.
    Do you really think that there are that few 5 and 6 stringers out there? Correctly designed polls as well as documented quotes in Bass Player have shown the 5 to be the de fact new standard: I cannot help but thinking that the numbers here are truly deceptive....but the pollster's heart is in the right place.
  13. I like flame maple tops (the top on my MVP5 is soooooo sweet), but I am more interested in neck shape, balance, and tone than anything..........and it has to be a 5. I don't feel comfortable without a 5 anymore (been playin 5;s exclusively for the last 6 years or so).

As far as the comment about Pedulla 5's , I have three and they are all sweet.............the aforementioned MVP5, a Thunderbolt 5, and a fretless rapture 5 J2.

I would highly recommend anything that they make.
  14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin

You know, one time, I actually considered mounting one of those swinging can holders and a bottle opener on the side of my upper cabinet!
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You know, I like having a variety of tones available, but that Alembic looks like mixing board.
  16. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yeah, but as intimidating as it looks, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to identify what settings you like and how quickly you can get set to them.

Keep in mind 3 of those knobs control volume and one is a pick up selector, so you have 4 left that adjust tone. Two for each pickup (the thing in the middle is NOT a pickup). It only LOOKS like rocket science.

17. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

You dragonslaying rogue,;) I see NINE knobs on yours. Is the 9th one a control for your front LEDs?

18. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

There is nothing on the list that I couldn't live without. I do have most of these features on my 5 string custom, but the whole point of "custom" is it's all negotiable if it doesn't add to (or detract from) the tone or playability of the bass.