Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stuff you don't need

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jcadmus, Jan 20, 2003.

1. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Anybody got stuff they don't need they'd be willing to give away?

Let me explain. A few weeks back I mentioned in a thread that I still had the pickup covers from my '78 Jazz Bass laying around (took them off the day I bought the bass 22 years ago, and they've been sitting in the case ever since) and anybody who wanted them could have them.

I got pinged by a guy asking for them, got his address, and shipped them off to him. Badda-bing.

My trash = his treasure.

Now, I don't share that story to demonstrate what a great guy I am (I am, but that's not the point).

It just occurred to me that other folks on the board might have stuff like that laying around -- old bridges, tuners, extra sets of strings they don't like, a nice seafoam green Reverend Rumblfish bass (Doh!), etc. -- that they'd be happy to share with someone here on the board.

So give it up.

Whose got stuff they don't need?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've got a plastic frame that surrounds the pickup of a Mosrite guitar. It's hanging on a nail in basement. I knock it on the floor about 3x a year. I should pitch-it, but....

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've got heaps and heaps of used DR-loriders, some used GHS boomers, and a set of used fender flats i believe.

would be great for a starting out/poor bassist to have and with some alcohol treatment, they'd be good as new (i pull them off when they stop being bright)

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Little old guitar amp that plays, but sometimes whines (then you slap it, and it stops, go figure). Distortion button doesn't work but for clean practices, it's a gem.

Lotsa A, D, and G Fender strings (all rounds) or various models. Never broke them. Always broke E and B strings in the band. So I've got a buttload of them hanging out.

P and J pickups, chrome bridge, and pots/wiring from my Ibanez, from the pre-upgrade era. All work just fine.

Couple of Peavey nylon straps.

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Now we're cookin'!

A good old fashioned swap meet. The first annual unofficial Talkbass rummage sale.

See something you like? PM the dude and work something out (you might want to offer to spring for the shipping).

I got some straps -- a nylon Gibson strap, and one of those Slider suspender-style straps (brand new -- got it for Christmas a couple years ago and didn't care for it).

Also some new Peavey strings I'll prolly never use.

6. shhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell my hubby about this thread. he will try so hard to get rid of things i refuse to part with. :D

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I got a cheap Jazz bass copy (made by Legend), 5 years old. My first bass, as it happens. I've also got a Yamaha MT-50 4-track analog portastudio. And, a stack of old issues of Sound On Sound (UK recording magazine). I've also get a set of TI Jazz flats that have had a few months use, and set of Roto flats that have had a few more months use.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I have a used Jay Turser g**tar neck and a used POS Sanok bass neck that its previous owner took a sander to. I planned to make something out of them but haven't got around to it yet.

9. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Shoot, people are offering up BASSES!

I can't believe the newbies aren't flocking to this thread.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Is that a Fender J?

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    lol, are you actually interested in that??

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Cassette. It just uses ordinary cassettes. It works at double speed however (better quality), and since it's a 4 track (and ordinary cassettes are 2-track), it uses both sides at once. So, for a 90 minute cassette tape (45 minutes per side), you actually get 22.5 minutes of recording time.

As lil' portastudios go, it's pretty good I suppose. It's served me well over the years. It's pretty old, it must be at least 8 years ago that I got it. Yamaha don't even do little portastudios like that anymore, they only do the bigger digital HD versions.

If you want some specifications:

It's got 4 tracks. Each has a 1/4" (balanced? Can't remember) TRS input. It's got 2-band EQ on each track (Low & High). You can switch the input sensitivity to mic, line or halfway in between. It's got varispeed +/- a tone. It's got coaxial monitor out and master out, headphone jack, and footswitch jack (you can do punch in & punch out using a footswitch - I think any keyboard sustain pedal will do it). Though - it is missing the cover bit that goes over the cassette. Not really an essential part of it, it works fine without it. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement part anyway.

To be honest, shipping would cost more than it's probably worth!!

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    bump

I don't have anything to give, but I want to point out that this is the greatest idea so far this year

14. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Got my first bite -- TubaBassBoy wants my strings and maybe the slider strap.

C'mon, you tightwads, pry open those dresser drawers and toolboxes. What ya got that ya don't need (but somebody else might)?

;)

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok, well I'll try and see if I can get that part for it (and back some of my old masters up onto CD), and look into shipping costs. When I've done that I'll PM you, and if you're still interested we'll talk money (not very much though, really!).

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Just how craperoo is it?

I may be interested...

17. I have a fat finger that I got from an FDP member for free, in a deal like those above, Id be willing to part with it.

Some really old strings, rounds. Extra power cable as well.

Great idea

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If anyone wants to give me any free stuff... PM me. I'll take almost anything.

19. Hey jasonbraatz, check your PM's.

20. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've got a set of generic 5's with silk wrapped ends and a few months on them, some fender super-bass 5's with silk ends and a few months on them. I'll have a set of passive alvarez humbuckers w/ electronics pretty soon here...

Hey Moley, is the jazz 5 copy playable? what are some specs?