1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stuff you don't think about when you prepare to move out

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ziltoid, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Title says most of it. In 10 months or so I will be moving out of my parent's place to Quebec city to study at Laval. Where I need your help is that I like to plan and prepare things in advance.

For most of the kitchen stuff I have a pretty good idea of what I already have and need, I think. The other stuff not so much, any help would be appreciated. The idea is that I want to buy as much as possible before moving, check the sales and deals and once the move comes have most of the stuff except bigger appliances and furniture (I have a feeling I will build a lot of IKEA furniture once I move).

So there's that, and also I'd like it if some of you could point me in the right direction to get some good knives (chef and a smaller one actually, santoku'ish) that aren't too expensive.

Any help and tips is welcome. I'll probably have roommate(s) but maybe not, some variables are unknown at this point.

2. First of all, I have a few questions. Why are you planning on buying a bunch of stuff before moving? You're going to have to move every bit of it. Is there a price difference between the place you live now and where you're moving? Are you using a moving company, a uhaul (or equivalent), or just hauling everything yourself? What sort of distance are we talking and do you have accommodations lined up in your new city?

I used to work as a chef and have used a lot of different chef's knives. I can give you some recommendations, but that depends on how much "too expensive" is.

3. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    The idea is that I don't want to bother buying all that once I moved, also buying it now (watching the sales and what not) will make me save money and just the idea that it won't be a "surprise" bill once I moved in makes it sounds like a good decision. I'm pretty good at shopping. I will probably rent a uhaul, it's just a 3h drive away and I already have a lot of stuff, heck I might even buy some furniture and move that to.

I'd guess 50$ or less for the knife, I know it's on the really cheap side but my mom's berlin kuche costs like 20$ off ebay and it does the job decently enough for a china blade.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Get your toilet paper now. Cleaning supplies too.

-Mike

5. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Yeah along with my beer, soap and milk.

6. Old Joe

Old Joe Guest

Apr 22, 2011
    Multi tool.

7. $50 isn't much for a decent chefs knife but you could probably get away with a Wusthof or a Henckels or a Mercer like so:
    Amazon.com: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Cook's Knife: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: J.A. Henckels International Classic 8-Inch Stainless-Steel Chef's Knife: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Mercer Cutlery Genesis 8-Inch Chef's Knife: Home & Garden

I use one of these, but obviously it's a bit out of your budget.

http://www.amazon.com/MBK-95-Mighty-French-Chefs-Knife/dp/B000N5H2QC/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1327118275&sr=1-3

I can't recommend Mac's enough. They're light, take an edge well, balanced and durable. You pay more, but it's worth it in my opinion. With any knife, if you have the chance to demo it first (like at a Williams and Sonoma or similar) I highly recommend doing so because a knife that's comfortable for one person may be very uncomfortable for the next. I don't like the feel of Wusthofs. They're fine knives, I just don't like them personally.

8. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Vacuum Cleaner

9. +1 IKEA

10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    So moving from parents and you wanna spend up $50 for a knife. Dude, get a cheap-o to spread peanut butter, another cheap-o, (serrated) for everything else and save your money at this point.

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts

I always love my "gourmet" friends who just convinced themselves all of a sudden that they are "foodies" , recently discovered the word "reduction" like it's some mystical crap and simply MUST have 2 grand worth of knives in order to prepare their culinary feats....

My Wife kicks their collective ass in cooking and the most expensive blade we have is a 40 dollar cleaver. As with basses as with just about everything else..... skill>tools. There's a reason I'm fat. :)

Go cheap(ish) enough for decent quality to get the job done repeatedly (no Ron Popeil nonsense) and LEARN HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR BLADES.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Whose money are you spending for your trousseau? Are you planning on furnishing a house, or will you live in a dorm?

Learn to fix a toilet.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Here is what Emily Post recommends:

House Linen

One to six dozen finest quality embroidered or otherwise “trimmed” linen sheets with large embroidered monogram. 55
    One to six dozen finest quality linen sheets, plain hemstitched, large monogram. 56
    One to six dozen finest quality linen under-sheets, narrow hem and small monogram. 57
    Two pillow cases and also one “little” pillow case (for small down pillow) to match each upper sheet. 58
    One to two dozen blanket covers (these are of thin washable silk in white or in colors to match the rooms) edged with narrow lace and breadths put together with lace insertion. 59
    Six to twelve blankets. 60
    Three to twelve wool or down-filled quilts. 61
    Two to ten dozen finest quality, extra large, face towels, with Venetian needlework or heavy hand-made lace insertion (or else embroidered at each end), and embroidered monogram. 62
    Five to ten dozen finest quality hemstitched and monogrammed but otherwise plain, towels. 63
    Five to ten dozen little hand towels to match the large ones. 64
    One to two dozen very large bath towels, with embroidered monogram, either white or in color to match the border of towels. 65
    Two to four dozen smaller towels to match. 66
    One tablecloth, six or eight yards long, of finest but untrimmed damask with embroidered monogram on each side, or four corners. Three dozen dinner napkins to match. (Lace inserted and richly embroidered tablecloths of formal dinner size are not in the best taste.) 67
    One tablecloth five to six yards long with two dozen dinner napkins to match. 68
    One to four dozen damask tablecloths two and a half to three yards long, and one dozen dinner napkins to match each tablecloth. All tablecloths and napkins to have embroidered monogram or initials. 69
    Two to six medium sized cut-work, mosaic or Italian lace-work tablecloths, with lunch napkins to match. 70
    Two to six centerpieces, with doilies and lunch napkins to match. 71
    Four to a dozen tea cloths, of filet lace or drawn work or Russian embroidery, with tiny napkins to match. Table pieces and tea-cloths have monograms if there is any plain linen where a monogram can be embroidered, otherwise monograms or initials are put on the napkins only. 72
    One or two dozen damask tablecloths, plain, with monogram, and a dozen napkins to match each. 73
    In addition to the above, there are two to four dozen servants’ sheets and pillow cases (cotton); six to twelve woolen blankets, six to twelve wool filled quilts, four to six dozen towels, and one or two dozen bath towels; six to twelve white damask (cotton or linen and cotton mixed) tablecloths and six to twelve dozen napkins, all marked with machine embroidery. 74
    Two to six dozen kitchen and pantry towels and dishcloths complete the list.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Six dozen each for linens? That's all?

-Mike

15. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I suggest that you NOT buy new furniture for your first place away from your parents'. It's bound to get lots of beer/food/vomit all over it, especially with a roommate.

If your lease says no pets: do not get a pet and think your landlord just won't find out. Chances are your landlord has been renting apartments since before you were born.

Don't expect to get your security deposit back without a fight, no matter how immaculate the apartment is when you leave.

16. Thinking back to my college days lets see what I can come up with that may help.

Think cheap for things like a coffee table. We went to a hardware store, bought a piece of plywood, a piece of plexi-glass to fit over it and some cinder blocks and put it on top of. Great coffee table. Before screwing the plexi-glass in we had a party and had our friends draw all over the plywood. Lots of funny stuff there.

Buy in bulk to save money. Things like toilet paper, paper towels, toiletries and bathroom supplies, etc... Even with condiments and food items that you'll use a lot. You save a lot in the end buying in bulk and it will save trips to the store.

Buying smart. Depending what you have to bring with you, you're going to need furniture. Places like Goodwill or a Thrift store are a great place to buy cheap used furniture (loveseats and arm chairs). Even check the Craiglist in your area for people giving away stuff, I see it all the time. IKEA is great for a desk and cheap office chair. Beds you can find for cheap at local mattress stores if you need a cheap mattress and frame.

Thumb Tacks. They are your friend. It may sound trivial, but I can't tell you how many times they became useful in my house. Organizing cords, hanging posters with no hassle, hanging christmas lights in our living room, beer pong list, notes, etc.. Over time our house became decorated with various things we found from parties and such, and we hung a lot of them up.

Basic Tool Kit. You're going to need it. You may get by without one for a while, but I recommend something basic with at least various screwdrivers (and preferably with different attachments). Get a hammer and a couple pairs of scissors just to have around as well.

Food Shopping. Consider where you will go food shopping. When you move out on your own you'll realize how much that can add up and how much you can actually save with some smart shopping.

Hording. Since you have a longer time frame before you move out, keep scouting out for free stuff. People in college areas always have to get rid of things for free or cheap. Tables, chairs, tv stands, beds, etc... If you have the storage space at your parents, it is a great way to save money and get things in advance.

Cleaning Supplies. Someone already mentioned it, but definitely get a vacuum or a dustbuster. Just get a lot of cleaning supplies... you'll need them. Mop, broom, bucket, soap/dish soap, sponges. If you have carpets like we did, I recommend carpet cleaner as well. Things will spill. Especially if you have parties. You don't want big stains or mold growing under your carpet from beer spills.

I am sure there is more I am missing but you'll figure it out along the way. There's a lot of things we just took from our homes that were extra (silverware, cups/glasses, towels, sheets, etc...). Get as much for free as you can. When it comes down to the time where you need easy and cheap cooking ideas, I will be ready and waiting haha

17. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Stock up on quarters for the laundromat.

18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i moved out with the clothes on my back and whatever i could stuff in my back-pack! the rest of the junk came later. you're going to study, not start a family!!! ;)

19. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey

+1 to both of these!!!

Actually, +10 on the quarters.

From what I remember about being single and living on my own...

Buy shampoo and soap while it's on sale whenever that may be. The stuff doesn't go bad, so you can store it. When it's not on sale, it's expensive.

Bath towels. You don't realize how many you need until you do your own laundry at a laundromat. Drying yourself off with a t-shirt when you run out of clean towels doesn't quite get the job done (ask me how I know).

Garbage bags. You can NEVER have too many. They have lots of uses too.....Hamper, laundry bag to go to laundromat with, garbage, etc.

Glasses, plates and utensils. I know it seems silly to say this, but paper plates get expensive, as do all paper products. They're best avoided if you're on a budget.

+1 on the vacuum, but don't forget the vacuum bags.

Light bulbs. Get 'em when you find them on sale. Those little effers are expensive. Ain't no more of a desperate situation than a bachelor trying to live in his apartment by the light of the TV because he ran out of light bulbs (again, ask me how I know).

Clean sheets. Sounds stupid.....right? Everyone's got enough clean sheets. Yeah.....except for a bachelor in a bachelor pad. Weather you plan on being a player or not, a single guy with his own place anywhere in his early 20's will be a babe magnet. NOTHING kills the moment faster than her asking "What's this stain from?" (again....AMHIK)

Depending on what part of the country you live in......Something to clean snow/ice off of your car. A small shovel that fits in the trunk is a good deal too. Credit Cards break when you try to scrape ice off of the windshield (Do I have to ask again??) When I moved out, I COMPLETELY forgot about clearing my vehicle of snow, since Dad's garage was full of the right tools for the job.

Blankets....Not for the bed, but for the couch / sofa

That's all I got for now.

20. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Heading to University?.....Beer & Condoms....Have fun!;)