1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stuff you hate to hear a non-bassist say

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Oliphaunt, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayhem

mayhem

Jan 27, 2007
    Scotland
    Cool T-shirt saint, lol.

2. In the car with my mom the other day:

"Does this song have bass in it?"

referring to song on the radio.

From a friend of mine: "Noone can hear bass anyway"

3. whats a bass?

4. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    It's like a guitar but easier.
    There are only four strings, you don't have to play with a pick and you don't learn chords.

See, easier.

5. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    I remember in elementry school, walking down the halls with my stand up in its case. Some teachers would walk by and be like "Hey, thats a pretty big guitar you got there!" I'm pretty sure they were just joking, but still... how can you even compare STANDUP BASS to a guitar? Or they'd say, "Thats a pretty big cello you have there!"

6. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Guest

Aug 7, 2005
    yeah, they were joking. um... hopefully.

7. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Post it over in the basses forum, and include the ser#,
    there are some Fender wizards over there that should be able
    to knock that down for you.

8. rafaelsam

rafaelsam

Jun 23, 2006
    The portuguese word for bass is 'baixo', wich means something like "Low".

So, when people ask "what do you play?" and I say 'baixo', they always go "Why don't you play it Loud??? hahaha"

Stupid as it seems. THEY are the same all over the world.

PS: I'm from Brazil

9. Gadolinium

Gadolinium

Feb 3, 2007
    Wiltshire UK
    That is good. LOL

10. "the bass is the most quiet thing in the mix, it's like in the background" - some ****er who knows nothing about record (2006)

"bass is a type of guitar genius" - a lot of people i've known (2004 - 2007)

11. 905

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    To be perfectly honest, I'm quite annoyed when I bring my bass to school and time and time again the same people go "Is that your guitar?"

Then I flip out, kill them all, and come back "It's a bass. There's a difference."

In their defense, I didn't know much about bass until about a year ago either.

12. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    "...you're good enough to start playing guitar."

So I guess you start with bass, and once you become "good", you "graduate" to guitar and let some other loser play bass. Gotta love those barflies.

13. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    "Dude. You gotta have a mini-fridge in your practice space!! Yeah!! It's way more important than a bassist!!"

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Packing up after a gig.

Drunk chick (very hot)"Wow... I'm really sorry about what happened to your guitar... Why don't you get that fixed?"
    Me: "Get what fixed"
    Drunk chick (still very hot)"You know the thingy... It's missing another thingy"
    Me (big smile on my face) "thingy?"
    Drunk chick (getting hotter the more she speaks) "The string thingy. It's missing a string and a string thingy."
    Me (still smiling... almost got enough visual units to take home and use :ninja:) "This thingy" [pointing to my tuning pegs]
    Drunk chick (visual units are logged away now for the memory bank spank) "yep. What happened to the other one?"
    Me: "It's supposed to be like that. It's a bass. It's got 5 strings."
    Drunk chick "Oh... What's your singers name?"
    :meh: :crying: :bawl:

But I have no shame... She doesn't know it, but I still use her to this very day. :D

15. My band played a show a couple of weeks ago with another local band that we've played with several times. One of their guitarists was making sure that people were paying before they got in. I walked by him, and he yelled at me about not paying. I turned around and informed him that I play bass for Amidst the Affliction. He obviously felt bad about it, and he apologized. He might just be really bad about recognizing people, though. Our guitarist Zach is full-blooded Korean, and that same night that guy let some other Asian dude in thinking it was Zach.

16. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

LOL! Good one!

:D

17. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That's classic! LOL!!!!

Though, I think Spank Memory Bank has a better ring to it.
    I can just imagine this SMB meter going up as you are talking to her. Sorta like a video game.
    tekken-5.jpg

18. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    "My plan worked! I let her Axe Kick me in the face so I could see up her skirt! AWESOME"

19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am sure this one has been brought up a few times "Bass?? Isn't that just a guitar with less strings?" or how about "Oh a Failed guitar player huh?"
    I certainly am proud of the fact that I am a bass player and always have been a bass player. For 27 years I have played the bass and have done pretty good... Thank you very much.

20. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    LOL! Coffee HURTS when it spews through your nose. You'd think I'd learn not to take a sip when your name is on the next post ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.