Stumbled Upon I Mother Earth Concert

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Apr 26, 2003.

1. So last night was the night following final exams, so it was off into Kingston for a pub crawl. We were going in early to grab dinner first. We got near where we were going and I noticed a poster for an I Mother Earth concert. Well, it was at 8pm at one of the local bars. I was mighty excited! I Mother Earth is one of my favourite bands.

The concert was great. Their bass player, Bruce Gordon, is very good, and the basslines are great (IMO). The two basses he was using, a Stingray 4 and 5, both had the MM pickups replaced with EMG soapbars and the 5 string had a Jazz pickup behind and very close to the MM. They actually sounded, to me, better than any other stingray I have heard. Mind you, I couldn't see his rig, it was hidden somewhere. The guitarist, Jagori Tanna is amazing. I was totally blown away by him. I have been at 2 of their concerts before, but I was about 5 feet from the stage this time, he is a madman.

Memorable events:
    -The opening band, Clarknova, was very good. I am usually disappointed in most opening acts, but these guys were killer.

-Some guy in the crowd yelled "Edwin is a fag" during one of the solo-interludes. Jag started laughing so much he screwed up and had to stop playing. Anyone who is familiar with the band should understand this.

-10 minute jam session at the end. Killer musicians. They have a drummer plus a percussionist with a ton of different bongos and small drums. It was extremely entertaining.

-The night was sponsored by Export 'A' cigarettes. It was pretty annoying, this guy kept coming on stage and announcing "blah blah, Export 'A' cigarettes..." If you like music, you'll like smoking, they've figured it out!;)

Anyway, it was a good night. It was a good surprise. I am seeing RHCP in May, so it should be a pretty good concert year for me.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Sounds pretty awesome. Say, would you happen to have heard of "Raz Matazz and the Bass Funk Jazz"? They're a Kingston band an I think they go to KCVI. They played at a coffee house at my school (NDSS) a couple months ago and I'd love to see them play again -- they kicked so much ass. I've asked at Renaissance and the people there haven't heard of them, so I don't know where they gig.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's great. I Mother Earth is one of the best bands of the early 90's. (It's a shame they didn't get the recoginition they deserve, they were cleary beyond their peers) I think Dig is such a great album. I really enjoy the tune, So Gently We Go. I remember reading a story on this website about a year or so ago about a guy buying an effect pedal off the bassist of IME.